Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
If the problem is just icing air due to pressure/temperature drop in the carburetor venturi, the simplest solution would be to dump some heat off the exhaust pipe into the air intake like on an old airplane I used to have.
Piper Cub, GoMotor?

I remember a, "CARB HEAT" knob on the dashboard of the model available immediately after World War II; a feature perhaps shared with many other aircraft.

Ambient TEMPERATURE plays a role in carburetor icing, but . . . ambient HUMIDITY is involved also. Automobile engines converted to marine use had water-heated intake manifolds to combat carburetor icing, a phenomenon otherwise possible with ambient temperature above freezing. Seemed to me, carb icing occurs when the "hear of vaporization" of the fuel cools the incoming air to the point where its humidity froze forming ice; corrections and clarifications welcomed.

EDIT: You realize we're addressing a thread whose last previous post was nearly a year ago, right? WAIT! I posted much of this in Post # 3 on this thread! I guess the first thing to go as one ages really IS the memory; I forget the others! :)

21 - 21 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.