Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I flushed and changed the coolant on my 2017 KLR. Everything seemed fine for a two rides. And then the morning after
I noticed a small pool coolant under the radiator. It’s leaking from the lower corner fins only, with the gravity of the lean on the kickstand. The reserve tank hasn’t moved and maybe only 2-4 oz have leaked from the radiator over a week. Also after the second ride it gulping/ bubbling noise when I turned the engine off.
Any ideas of what I did wrong?

·
Registered
2018 KLR650
97 Posts
I have never changed the coolant on bike but with all the cars I have done this to I put the coolant in then let the engine warm up to open the thermostat with the radiator cap off.
As soon as the thermostat opens the coolant level drops then I top off the radiator and put the cap on.

Dont see a bike being any different.

How did you drain the coolant?

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,408 Posts
@ConroeTXRob: look carefully to make sure you know where the coolant is coming from. It’s likely that the leak originated higher up, probably at the filler neck, maybe the cap or overflow tube is leaking. It then seeps down between the fins and looks like it is coming out the bottom. A good chance that you jiggled something loose while changing the coolant.

If it’s really leaking out the fins, then you'll need a new radiator.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
I'll ask if you have tipped over on the LH side and possibly twisted the radiator and then the fan assembly may have rubbed a hole in one or more of the coolant tubes of the radiator?
Remove the LH shroud and inspect carefully.

The "gulping/ bubbling noise when I turned the engine off" tends to suggest that the fan may not even be turning, therefore actually overheating.

Also confirm that the coolant hose from the Forward coolant pump Nipple is connected to the base of the engine "CYL"INDER! And the hose from the bottom of the radiator is connected to the Rearward Nipple of the coolant pump, if you had them disconnected.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
@1KLR6504ME: Follow the procedure in the Clymer manual. There’s a drain plug at the bottom of the coolant pump. Then refill. Otherwise, It’s pretty much the same as changing coolant in a car, with the exception that the manual says to lean the bike from side to side to help clear any air pockets before you start the bike. Fill the reservoir to the fill line, fill the radiator to the filler neck. Then warm it up (I ride it around a bit to help dislodge any remaining air bubbles). Add coolant as necessary to top off the radiator.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Then warm it up (I ride it around a bit to help dislodge any remaining air bubbles). Add coolant as necessary to top off the radiator.
WAIT for the engine to COOL back down before opening the radiator cap!

Reactions: PeteK

·
Registered
2018 KLR650
97 Posts
Thanks PeteK did not mean to mislead anyone and will certainly follow the procedure in my manual when its time.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Since you’re used to doing this on cars, I assume you know that hot coolant can gush out and scald you when you loosen the cap. If not, then heed Paul Westman’s warning about letting it cool first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts