Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the front tire. New install in March 2018. Is a Dunlop Trailmax. It was built in 2012. I took it to the seller and he asked me about the air pressures I use. I said 36 forward and 34 back. They will recognize me a credit or a special price in the purchase of another. but it has the same tire with the same construction date.

What do you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
Old rubber, to be expected in my experience.

I have put many miles on tires with cracks like that, some worse, with no trouble but ultimately it’s up to you. I’m older now and prefer not taking that risk for rides at highway speeds, especially in the heat. Around street and slower off road, I’d run it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't know why it cracked and you don't include the build date. Now with all that said,,, there's NO WAY I'd ride on that.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I didn't know Dunlop had been producing that TrailMax since 2012.

Does that tire have a full USA DOT serial number on it? What is the full number? You are in Panama, correct?

Maybe send Dunlop an e-mail and inquire if there was ever a recall on that batch.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It's the front tire. New install in March 2018. Is a Dunlop Trailmax. It was built in 2012. I took it to the seller and he asked me about the air pressures I use. I said 36 forward and 34 back. They will recognize me a credit or a special price in the purchase of another. but it has the same tire with the same construction date.

What do you think.
I would never buy a tire that was more than 2 years old. Most tire makers recommend you not run tires that are 6 years old or older.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just a general information point, when I worked in Power Sport Sales, the guys that looked over trade ins would look carefully for cracks like that (and plugs in tubeless too) because we couldn't sell the used model with those kinds of defects. So if there's replacement or credits offered, take what you can, cuz they'll cut the value on a trade for the cost of a new tire. A private buyer may do the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts