Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm a fairly new rider and my '11 KLR650 is my first bike. And, as new riders are wont to do, I've laid it down in the gravel a few times and now the front fairings on both side of the tank have a pretty bad crack in it.

Even though it's actually not super noticable, and doesn't affect performance at all, I'd like to fix it but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I tried searching for replacement fairings, but everything I found was either a used one that was in as bad a shape as what I already had. And I didn't have any luck finding an aftermarket one of any description.

Am I just looking in the wrong place for new plastics? Or is my best bet to just sand the whole thing down, pop the cracks back into place and repair them with some bondo and repaint the whole thing?

·
Registered
171 Posts
bondo and repaint is my best guess... i heard that it's hard to come around plastics for this bike.

but im not sure.

·
Registered
259 Posts
On the back side double side carpet tape and some epoxy. On the facing side some epoxy and paint should do the trick.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Rattle can bedliner looks nice. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up a KLR650 3 weeks ago and it had a cracked fairing (colored part near the headlight). I wasn't able to find an aftermarket supplier so I wound up getting a replacement part from the dealer. Wasn't cheap though at $170 Cdn.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I ride KLRs in places that I expect to drop them in and sure enough I drop them and crack the fairings. Fixing the crack is easy and I don't worry about painting it. Just make a close fit with the cracked plastic.

I rough up the back side with a wire wheel or course sand paper.
Spread some JB Weld around over the cracked area.
Put some fiberglass mesh tape over the JB before it fully hardens and tape the edges of the mesh down with Scotch tape.
Then apply another layer of JB Weld.

I have been surprised by how this works. And the nasty looking stuff is all concealed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you would like new ones they have them at 2 wheel pros for $103, just pick your color. They have Blue, Orange and Greystone.

Cowling replacement parts for 2011 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650-EBF)

If you order them they WILL take at least 10 days to reach you if not longer. They always say they have them in stock, but it's in stock in a warehouse in Japan. ;)

I would also get some crash bars to prevent them from getting damaged anymore.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I would buy new or worry about it until it stops falling over ;)

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
You know what, I DO like a well-done zip tie stictch as long as you do it because you need to :p
Lol, on another site we used to call the zip tie or stainless wire repair "Frankenstiches". I actually think they look great and add character, wouldn't hesitate to do it myself. Especially considering the price of replacement plastics!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
In an other thread it was mentioned that Acetone works to repair the plastic of the Gen2 bikes. Align the cracks together and paint the acetone on from the backside with a small brush. It will go into the crack and melt/bond the plastic back together as it dries. You can get acetone from modeling supply stores in small bottles with a brush included or in bigger quantities at hardware and paint supply stores. You only need a little though.
JJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts