Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased an '08 KLR 650, with 5k miles...looking for crash bars...
Looks like it comes down to Givi or Motech...
Any newer recommendations?
Also this bike has stock skid plate, noticed some have a nicer alum...is this also recommended?
Not doing any off road...well maybe forest service roads...but that's not real off road, just not paved :)
Thanks for info!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I have motech and have been happy with them. As I've said before, though, I made the decision for the dumb reason that they look better. But I've tested them. They work. :)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have motech and have been happy with them. As I've said before, though, I made the decision for the dumb reason that they look better. But I've tested them. They work. :)
Looks better, and work? That's a combination that's hard to beat! :)
Thanks for the reply, I'm ordering on Tuesday...
The bike seemed to be in good condition...stayed true to line at pretty good speeds...
An absolute blast to ride...
Even better once I was told there was a choke on it...(I thought it was bad gas) lol
Is it normal for this bike to take a bit to get up to op temp? Then cool off very fast? (15 min break)
Start the process to op temp all over again...

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Is it normal for this bike to take a bit to get up to op temp? Then cool off very fast? (15 min break)
Start the process to op temp all over again...
Yes that is normal. You can have a more constant cooling temperture if you install a product called the Thermo-Bob. You can do a search on here and with Google for more info. Great product. I wouldn't be with out it.

Also get the aluminum skid plate. Even on forestry roads some I can here some pretty good sized rocks clanging off of it and it's better proytection for the oil drain plug.

Speaking of oil. Since you have a 2008 keep an eye on your oil level especially if you are riding a lot at higher RPM. Unfortunately the 2008 engine has a reputation for oil consumption.

But mostly - enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that is normal. You can have a more constant cooling temperture if you install a product called the Thermo-Bob. You can do a search on here and with Google for more info. Great product. I wouldn't be with out it.

Also get the aluminum skid plate. Even on forestry roads some I can here some pretty good sized rocks clanging off of it and it's better proytection for the oil drain plug.

Speaking of oil. Since you have a 2008 keep an eye on your oil level especially if you are riding a lot at higher RPM. Unfortunately the 2008 engine has a reputation for oil consumption.

But mostly - enjoy the ride.

Great! Thank you!
I'll order the skid plate with the crash bars :)
Ha! I noticed an empty oil window, thought it was strange...so the oil consumption info is good to know...

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
No financial interest in any crash guard company, but . . . just wondering, why aren't Happy Trails products considered?

Not that I carry a brief for the vendor, but . . . I have HT nerfs, engine guard/highway pegs, bash plate and adjustable-height center stand; all satisfactory (and affordable!) products.

Crash-worthy; excellent customer service. Installation instructions? Could use some work! :)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No financial interest in any crash guard company, but . . . just wondering, why aren't Happy Trails products considered?

Not that I carry a brief for the vendor, but . . . I have HT nerfs, engine guard/highway pegs, bash plate and adjustable-height center stand; all satisfactory (and affordable!) products.

Crash-worthy; excellent customer service. Installation instructions? Could use some work! :)
Hey, it's not Tuesday yet!
Do you like the HT?
Just looking for recommendations...
Initial impressions were, Givi didn't cover as much, and might have finish problems...Motech seemed like a viable alternative...lots of positive reviews...didn't find much on the HT...except a thread where several HT owners mentioned if they had to do it over, they'd give Motech a try...
I've only been researching for a few hours...and would like to get 'something' sooner than later :)
So...you like the HT?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
My experience: The HT stuff does as much as one can reasonably expect.

I think any crash guard may be sacrificial; that is, it gets bent and dinged, saving tank/radiator/plastic. The HT nerfs have come through crashes well; latest at 60 mph on a hard-surfaced road.

Qualifying: My installation is all Generation 1.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My experience: The HT stuff does as much as one can reasonably expect.

I think any crash guard may be sacrificial; that is, it gets bent and dinged, saving tank/radiator/plastic. The HT nerfs have come through crashes well; latest at 60 mph on a hard-surfaced road.

Qualifying: My installation is all Generation 1.
Sounds reasonable to me...sheesh...60 MPH! Glad you're ok!
NOOB here...what gen is HT on?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Happy Trails sells guards for both generations; you may check their website: Kawasaki

Again, no advocacy or preference; Happy Trails, to me, is merely another source of merchandise; nothing against its competitors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just installed a set of Outback Motortek bars and skid plate on my 2014 NE and they are as solid as a rock and look great as well. Haven't had the misfortune of trying them out........ yet. ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I purchased the Nomad Riders for the front and I have the Dirt Racks on the back. The right down-tube mount plate on the Nomads snapped in a low speed fall on a soft, sandy forest bed during a rally in March. The steel plate itself snapped right in half, not the welds. Thick plate, it could only be due to brittle metal. Nomad promptly replaced it after seeing some photos. I appreciate that, but if it breaks again, I'm just going to get a set of SWMotechs.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have the sw motechs. Really beefy bars. The only thing I'm not crazy about is they don't compensate for the radiator side sticking out further then the right side. This results in that side being 3/4 of an inch closer to the plastics. Doesn't bother me anymore and I realized it's more noticeable on the side stand anyway.
Oh and if you go with the motech skidplate you wanna install that at the same time. I went with jns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts