Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered on past threads but I wasn’t ready to buy when I saw the thread and now I can’t find the thread.

I’m ready to install a crash bar. I’m thinking I’d like to also add the highway pegs. What is the recommended crash bar for an 08 KLR?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just put on the Happy Trails set and so far I love them. I have not crash tested them yet but I'm sure I will soon enough.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I like my Motechs, but have never really tested them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just put on the Happy Trails set and so far I love them. I have not crash tested them yet but I'm sure I will soon enough.
I checked out the Happy Trails crash bars. They seem like they will do the job. I like the highway pegs. It seems if I go with theirs I also need to replace my skidplate?

Is it all bolt & clamp on?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, the skid plate will have to be replaced. I got the whole kit from HT. The crash bars, engine guard/footpegs, and the skid plate. Installation was fairly easy and it just bolts/clamps on.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I checked out the Happy Trails crash bars. They seem like they will do the job. I like the highway pegs. It seems if I go with theirs I also need to replace my skidplate?

Is it all bolt & clamp on?

I have the SW Motechs on my 08. The stock skid plate works with them. They have a spot to mount highway pegs.

I didn't like the wimpy look of the HTs, there's a bar connecting the sides (under the tank?) that can get bent in a tip over. Also you have to rotate them out of the way to get the shrouds off. The Motechs don't have to be unbolted to work on the bike.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at the two separate designs of crash bars HT & SA Motech. HT seems to wrap around the front of the cowling. I laid mine down once and this is where I did the damage by the cowling digging into the dirt. The Motech doesn’t protect this. Any thoughts?

Also the HT is cheaper $299.00 with skidplate compared to $239.00 plus $114.99 for the skidplate at Twisted Throttle!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at the two separate designs of crash bars HT & SA Motech. HT seems to wrap around the front of the cowling. I laid mine down once and this is where I did the damage by the cowling digging into the dirt. The Motech doesn’t protect this. Any thoughts?

Hmmmm,, No extra thoughts regarding the differences?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Sorry, all I know about are the Motech.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Also the HT is cheaper $299.00 with skidplate compared to $239.00 plus $114.99 for the skidplate at Twisted Throttle!
Sammy,

I looked at both, and really liked the HT for the price. From what I could read, the HT used to have some issues sometimes in crashed, with the cross bar that goes behind the radiator. The old bars could bend, damaging the radiator. Apparently the issue was fixed with a sturdier bar.

All the other reviews for the Motechs (crash reports) on the other hand, had no issues whatsoever (from what I could find).

I compared the diameter of the bars, and turns out (from my math, that I might be wrong on) that the HTs are 0.815" vs Motechs at 1.05". Not a big difference, but whatever. Also, the Motechs do not have to be removed if you want to do the Doo; however the HTs only have to be flipped down - no biggie.

At the end of the day, I think they're both good protection, and it might come down to personal preference.

As such... I ordered the Motechs today :35a:

Hope this helps,

John

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sammy,

I looked at both, and really liked the HT for the price. From what I could read, the HT used to have some issues sometimes in crashed, with the cross bar that goes behind the radiator. The old bars could bend, damaging the radiator. Apparently the issue was fixed with a sturdier bar.

All the other reviews for the Motechs (crash reports) on the other hand, had no issues whatsoever (from what I could find).

I compared the diameter of the bars, and turns out (from my math, that I might be wrong on) that the HTs are 0.815" vs Motechs at 1.05". Not a big difference, but whatever. Also, the Motechs do not have to be removed if you want to do the Doo; however the HTs only have to be flipped down - no biggie.

At the end of the day, I think they're both good protection, and it might come down to personal preference.

As such... I ordered the Motechs today :35a:

Hope this helps,

John
I've been looking at both also... I put an order in for the HT's today.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Happy with HT's

I have the HT's. Really like how they cover the side. I finally put them to the test yesterday when I crashed in the George Washington National Forest. After I brushed myself off I checked all around and had no damage. I am thankful and lucky I guess.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the HT's. Really like how they cover the side. I finally put them to the test yesterday when I crashed in the George Washington National Forest. After I brushed myself off I checked all around and had no damage. I am thankful and lucky I guess.
Glad to hear you're safe, and that the bars did their job well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Last week I installed the SW Motech bars, this week I went down on ice/snow (don't ask, I live in northern Ontario) and they protected all the parts that they should. I picked them because they give better coverage than the GIVI's and they come with more robust main frame bolts which is where they are attached.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last week I installed the SW Motech bars, this week I went down on ice/snow (don't ask, I live in northern Ontario) and they protected all the parts that they should. I picked them because they give better coverage than the GIVI's and they come with more robust main frame bolts which is where they are attached.

Looks like the bike did fine, how’d you make out?

Thanks for the update. I do like the way they contour the bike. I don’t see highway pegs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think this week we should all crash and then post up on how the different systems worked. This week I will be in some training at work and have to wear nice clothes so I will not be able to participate, however.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts