Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok well not a very welcoming response. Thank you.im not new to motorcycles have been riding for 18 yrs. Currently own a ducati and a triumph. I will try not to be a smart ass. I received the bike for free with a ims plastic tank that was road rash on both sides and leaking from 4 places So I take that as a sign that this tank needs protection be cause i plan on riding it hard.. maybe if you don't have any information in reference to my question you should not say anything . Thanks.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Over the years IMS has made several different tanks for the KLR, and those which I am aware of are:
* Stock size that still used the OEM fan shrouds (fit Gen-1 and have been discontinued).
* Large size, typically ~7 gallons US (two variants, early had no slots, later ver had vent slots).
* XL Size, in black and natural/white, and holding about 10 gallons US.

Which version in on your KLR?

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
What a way to make an entrance! For your information many on this sight use the very tank you speak of. Not many use crash bars. Are you going to “ride it hard” or, fall down a lot? If the latter then by all means search google for bars that work for your application.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry . Maybe I just took it the wrong way. I know if you ride off road eventually your going to fall. . And from the looks of the tank that was on this bike ( ims oversized tank) it didn't fair very well. So if I'm 800 mills away from home and for some reason fall and Jack up my tank I'm stuck. So if all I have to do is put some crash bars on it to avoid that and ride in confidence with the bars then thats what I'm going to try to do. I also have been on google all week trying to find info about bars that fit with the oversized tank. And can only find that all don't fit with the big tank.
So far I'm not feeling very welcome here .I have built a suzuki samurai for rock crawling and on other off road forums when you ask a simple question no one really cames one with smart remarks . I just looking for info from someone that has maybe been where I am right now looking for bars that fit with the big tank. I apologize if I have come off in a wrong way.

·
Premium Member
7,297 Posts
Hi . Can anyone tell.me who makes crash bars that fit with the oversize tank.
Freeklr650, Have you tried using the Google search On This Forum? So it primarily searches This Forum?
https://www.klrforum.com/gtsearch.php?q=IMS 6.6 & crash bars

I think that I might have read that the Dirt Racks brand might fit around the IMS 6.6-7 gallon fuel tank, on this forum with-in the last few of years.

And alas, Damocles responses can rub many people the wrong way. I've been on the receiving end. Yet sometimes he can be quite helpful. Just gotta' learn to separate the chaff from the good intel.

If you had been more specific about model year or Gen of bike and which IMS fuel tank it may have reduced his temptation, possibly.

Reactions: Stunpohl

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I test fitted my older 7 gal IMS tank with the DirtRacks and with a bit of tweeking they would work.

No worries Freeklr - sometimes the tone and tenor of chatting don't come across correctly in text-based forums. You asked a simple question and offered an apology if it came across inappropriately. You are welcome here for sure.

Now let me see if I can find a few pics from test fitting the old black IMS tank ...

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Freeklr650, you may be better served calling IMS directly. I’m sure they’d know or can steer you to the manufacturer that makes bars that’ll fit your tank setup.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
And alas, Damocles responses can rub many people the wrong way.
Oh? OH?????????

:)

I must say, I beg for a THOUSAND PARDONS, if mentioning the concept, IMS tanks serve in lieu of crash bars, offended anyone!

I take it all back. Don't know where I obtained such a foolish, absurd idea. I get it now; the tank protects the radiator; then, the crash bars protect the tank!

Forgive me, all, if you can find forgiveness in your hearts.

Good thing Peter somehow muddled through his projected 50,000-mile, two-year ride through the Americas with no crash bars and an unprotected IMS tank. (Kamikaze cab driver along the Mexico-Belize border creamed him; broke his leg; but the IMS tank protected his bike. Completed his ride, just as soon as his leg healed. DISCLAIMER: Anecdote only, from which no general conclusions should be drawn.)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-p...ges/N/NVTrailRider_0409140955_zps67f8bdeb.jpg

("I've never faked a sarcasm!")

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damocles.... I'm drawing from what I have in front of me . the tank that was on this first gen bike I'm sure by the way it looks has taken more than one bad spill but is like I said leaking in 4 places. So . If all I have to do is put bars on it to never have to be worried about it then thats what I'm going to do. I'm not saying that this tank is going to fail with one simple fall. Are you a top secret representative for Ims and I have offended you because I want to protect this great tank with some beefy crash bars . Jokes.

·
Premium Member
3,299 Posts
Interesting thread. FWIW, I've seen people with Dirtracks and SW Motek bars on Gen1's with the IMS 6.6. I don't know how much (if any) tweeking was required to make them work. Personally, my riding is "offroad centric" and I use just the IMS tank and JNS radguard for protection and haven't had any issues despite a half dozen crashes, nor do I expect any. I raced offroad for 30 years and every offroad bike I had used a plastic tank, either stock, IMS or Clark and I've never had an issue depite literally hundreds of crashes. ....I removed the crash bars from my 2001 as I didn't want the extra 10-15 lbs and the bike is heavy enough as it is. All that said, I'm sure that crashbars add additional protection to the tank - I'm just not convinced it's needed or worth the weight penalty. YMMV

2 cents,
Dave

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
If it is leaking in four places my concern would be more along the lines of fixing the leaks.

Where are the leaks?

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
OK, makes sense.

I have had the IMS 10 and the IMS 6.6, both on the same bike. Both of them have been down a number of times and have served well to protect the bendy bits on the bike. The IMS 10 had a strut that served to help the left wing protect the radiator. Some have left that part out with poor results.

On the IMS 6.6 I think that a proper radiator guard will add as much insurance as is really needed. JNS make a very good one. Between that and the IMS tank you should be well protected. That said, there are bars that will fit. The problem is that so few put bars on with the IMS that information is a bit hard to find regarding what bars fit with the tank and with any given skid plate. Also hard to find is what might be involved in getting the tank off for service.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Registered
2 Posts
IMS tank

I have an 06 with the 6.6/6.1? IMS tank that came on this bike used. I have researched bars and even have a set(not installed) and thought I would mod my bars but would be way wide IMO. I made sure tank was secure and went riding. I push(drills/training)my self on bike and my wife learned to ride on it,it's been down. Tank protects radiator just fine(never a thought now) and with hand control guards and happy trail pannier racks(small soft panniers) bike is all around well protected. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts