Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Crashed my Motorcycle tonight, I'm not badly hurt, just minor brusing and I went to work this same night. I was in the center lane, changed lanes to get around a slower vehicle, saw too late that traffic suddenly stopped, hit the brakes and did not try to swerve, but lowsided (meaning front lost traction) into the back end of another vehicle.

I was on my feet in seconds, witnesses were checking to see if I was OK and I did NOT need medical attention. My jacket and chaps prevented road rash. The front forks are certainly shot, but the bike should be repairable. That big can bolted to the left side kept my lower leg from being caught between the bike and the road. The bike is fully insured with only a $250 deductable and I have the Kymco Grand Vista 250 scooter to keep me happy until I get the KLR back.

It happened in almost the exact same spot when back on July 6 of 2012, someone pulled out in front of me, causing about $1,800 worth of damage to the scooter. I'm starting to wonder if the right lane in that spot is cursed.

Video of the crash:

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Crashed my Motorcycle tonight,

It happened in almost the exact same spot when back on July 6 of 2012, someone pulled out in front of me, causing about $1,800 worth of damage to the scooter. I'm starting to wonder if the right lane in that spot is cursed.

Video of the crash:

[/QUOTE)

Cloudchaser,
I hate to say it, But I personally think the accident could have been avoided!
You changed lanes, I Saw 'brake lights' on the vehicle in the RH lane almost immediately, in plenty of time to STOP or AVOID! Sorry for your loss.

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay, Cloudchaser. I'd have to agree with pdwestman: you had plenty of time to recognize and react.

Don't take that as an insult, though. It's happened to me and probably most people on here. I was fortunate to not rear-end a pickup/trailer not long ago when my attention was on a vehicle merging from the left and I was not expecting the pickup to stop since they were only required to yield. I almost had to go to Walmart to buy a 6-pack of clean underwear after that one. It was close. My front tire actually hit the back of the trailer when I stopped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies!

Yeah, I did notice in the video that the right lane was stopping before I even moved over.

I have also nearly been in accidents because of people stopping when they didn't need too. At one intersection I frequent, I sometimes cut through a parking lot because of tourons who stop instead of yielding to turn right and think they need to wait for all three lanes to clear before getting in the right lane

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for posting that CC.
I fly for a living and part of the philosophy of safe flying is to admit our mistakes (we all make 'em) and share them around as a lesson to others.
Your little video is a salutary reminder to all of us who ride, it shows how quickly a moment's inattention can result in a crash.
Glad you're okay.

iddy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for posting that CC.
I fly for a living and part of the philosophy of safe flying is to admit our mistakes (we all make 'em) and share them around as a lesson to others.
Your little video is a salutary reminder to all of us who ride, it shows how quickly a moment's inattention can result in a crash.
Glad you're okay.

iddy
You're welcome and thanks :) It's certainly not something I'll forget anytime soon

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I agree with everybody's comments, and I'm glad there were no injuries to you or anyone else. I used to have a Kymco 150. Great scooter.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Damn, glad it looked worst than it was. Coulda happened to anyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts