Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced this crinkled/melted dashboard phenomenon?

I suspect it's the result of fuel droplets dripping from the fuel nozzle when getting gas. Does anyone have other ideas as to the root cause of this problem?

Jason

Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle Trip computer Vehicle

· Administrator
10,121 Posts
Right, it is from the sun being focussed by the windscreen. I have one that has a nice track across it where it looks like the bike was parked just right for the sun to be focussed by the windscreen for about an hour and a half.

Puts me in mind of when we used to set twigs on fire with a magnifying glass. What fun.

· Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, it is from the sun being focussed by the windscreen. I have one that has a nice track across it where it looks like the bike was parked just right for the sun to be focussed by the windscreen for about an hour and a half.

Puts me in mind of when we used to set twigs on fire with a magnifying glass. What fun.

Thank you for the reply.

Notably I've had several bikes with windshields and have never experienced the melted-plastic-dash syndrome.

Jason

· Administrator
10,121 Posts
On most bikes, the windscreen being clear makes no sense because you have to lay down on the tank to even have a chance of looking through them. They can easily be painted on the back side so that they are all black and the issue goes away. Or, if done early enough, never comes.

Oh! Oh! Here's a spoke-straw and neon light idea! You can back-paint the windscreen in a nice complementary color! For the 2022s we might find some baby-shit brown paint... For the Gen 2s we can do something with a lightning bolt on a chartreuse background. Imagine what could be done with the Barbie bikes! Yikes!

I have sum mad skilz that I will share with the brotherhood; feel free to use.
Font Material property Symbol Recreation Personal protective equipment

• Love
Reactions: SirMarksAllot

· Premium Member
2022 KLR Adventure
522 Posts
On most bikes, the windscreen being clear makes no sense because you have to lay down on the tank to even have a chance of looking through them. They can easily be painted on the back side so that they are all black and the issue goes away. Or, if done early enough, never comes.

Oh! Oh! Here's a spoke-straw and neon light idea! You can back-paint the windscreen in a nice complementary color! For the 2022s we might find some baby-shit brown paint... For the Gen 2s we can do something with a lightning bolt on a chartreuse background. Imagine what could be done with the Barbie bikes! Yikes!
I was skeptical about painting mine. It was only a drag bike so I busted out the white rustoleum and hoped it’d come out passable. It looked great.

· Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you the original owner?
Yes, I'm the original owner. I purchased this 2012 KLR new in 2013 and immediately installed a Cee Bailey windshield that you see in the attached pics. However, it wasn't until the past five years or so that the distorted plastic dash appeared. When I installed the windshield I applied black paint to the inside of it for a distance of about 1/3 of the 24-inch height. Perhaps I need to raise the paint in order to block the sun.

Jason Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
2022 KLR 650 Pearl Sand Khaki
139 Posts
Yes, I'm the original owner. I purchased this 2012 KLR new in 2013 and immediately installed a Cee Bailey windshield that you see in the attached pics. However, it wasn't until the past five years or so that the distorted plastic dash appeared. When I installed the windshield I applied black paint to the inside of it for a distance of about 1/3 of the 24-inch height. Perhaps I need to raise the paint in order to block the sun.

Jason View attachment 37191 View attachment 37192
Well, you are in Houston. That checks a lot of boxes. Can't get much hotter than that.

· Administrator
10,121 Posts
On my BMW, which has a large OEM windscreen, I made a drape for the dash so that I could avoid this. The BMW dash is silver-colored, so I suppose it may be less susceptible than a black dash would be. The drape also protects the LCD elements of the dash from the effects of sun and heat.

I glued some magnets to the underside of the dash cowling and then sewed magnets into the drape. This seems to hold it in place well enough while the bike is parked.

· Premium Member
12,047 Posts
My wifes 1980 KZ550 instruments have sun warped face plates because of the National Cycle Plexistar windshield we put on it. Her trip meter is even jammed.

· Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wifes 1980 KZ550 instruments have sun warped face plates because of the National Cycle Plexistar windshield we put on it. Her trip meter is even jammed.
Well, this is certainly unfamiliar territory for me and frankly I'm surprised. But I feel somewhat better now that I know the root cause.

Thanks all for the input.

Jason

· Registered
797 Posts
🤣 Tom, did you forget to take your special vitamins today?

• Love

· Administrator
10,121 Posts
I only take those on Thursday. The above must have been the result, as with Scrooge, of an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of gravity about it.

• Haha
Reactions: KBear

· Registered
797 Posts
I, personally, have never seen this issue before or have it happen to me, but it looks pretty nasty. I always thought I was over thinking it when I put a microfiber cloth over my instrument panels of my bikes if they were in extreme sunlight situations.

Speaking of aftermarket windscreens. Watched a adventure bike motovlogger the other day explain why they don't put "taller" windscreens on their motors. I didn't think of this, but they said if they happen to do an endo or go over the handlebars, they didn't want the windscreen to become a hazard on the way over.

· Administrator
10,121 Posts
You don't want me to go off my meds about the windscreen issue. You know, the big, swoopy, JC Whitney-lookin' things...

Reactions: KBear

· Registered
797 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it here on a forum full of "I want to make my bike different" and "I hate the wind in my face" I'm just not one for changing things such as gigantic windscreens. Now, after saying that, the windscreen on my Transalp I placed there in order to preserve the original screen. I hated to see anything happen to the original and purchased the unit that's on there now from a German company I'm sure you're aware of MRA. However, I didn't care that the original replacement from MRA would need holes drilled in the dash to secure the screen to the dash. Told them I wasn't going to drill holes in the dash of a 1989 Transalp just to place a windscreen. So, they made me a new prototype that was refitted as to not need the holes drilled. So, MRA made that screen for my Transalp and I sent the first replacement MRA screen back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts