Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to leave PA May 30,travel through OH,IN,IL,TO DES MOINES(cousins house) from IA to CO for RA rally(6/15). Lv. CO to Moab by June 19. Plan to visit Bryce/Zion/Arches. Play in the mountains a few days before NV to CA.

I would really appreciate advice from anyone about "MUST SEE/MUST DO when in these states/areas. Plan to slab it home by July 4th.:desismiley1:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Mt Evans in CO is really cool (literally and figuratively), highest paved road in NA.

Trail Ridge Road in CO.

Million Dollar Highway in CO, I missed due to time constraints last trip out west, but from the pics, it looks awesome.

Pacific Coast Highway, if you have lots of time. If you don't then my favorite section was from San Fran - North.

Hoh Rain Forest in WA.

Lots more stuff out there to see, I'd like to hit up a few off AMA's top 15 list. I'll be running the circumference of the US a couple weeks after you get home. Let us know how it goes, and make sure to keep the camera battery charged.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Ouray, Co (southwest corner) is an outstanding hub for exploring some of the best "prospectors mule trails" up to 12000+'. Did a Jeep Jamboree there in Sept of 2001. Plan to go back this summer for an excursion from the CDT ride. Moab is great no matter where you ride (mountain biked some of the trails the week prior to the Jeep Jamboree).

Sounds like an epic trip. Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
If you're travelling I-80 through Iowa, I would suggest stopping for gas at the Iowa 80 truck stop, the largest truck stop in America.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Mark -

If any of this looks interesting I can give you a .gpx file and places to stay. It is the return leg of my trip to Colorado.

It's all beautiful or strange and wonderful.

Except for Tonopah, that is.

T

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
If you have a day or two up in my neck of the woods, I could take you on some really great rides, with some great riders in the area, and you have a place to stay, and eat. If you like the idea, keep me posted.

Ride safe!

MB4

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just saw a PBS program about the Lincoln Highway.Looks like the eastern and midwest part of your trip will include some of the route.Thinking you could find many interesting things along the way by checking out some of the Lincoln Highway websites.

Have a great trip

Farmer

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Ouray, Co (southwest corner) is an outstanding hub for exploring some of the best "prospectors mule trails" up to 12000+'. Did a Jeep Jamboree there in Sept of 2001. Plan to go back this summer for an excursion from the CDT ride. Moab is great no matter where you ride (mountain biked some of the trails the week prior to the Jeep Jamboree).

Sounds like an epic trip. Ride safe.
did that last year. amazing ride. if you make it as far south as me your more than welcome to stay. we got some mountain roads nearby that are a ton of fun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you're heading west on I-80 the eastern part of CA in the Sierras and Foothills there are a lot of great routes and scenery, if you think you'll be going that way send me a PM and I can fill you in on some of them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
When you get to Northern California/SF Bay area, post up, stay at Marks (you'll be happy you did)
Let us know and we can get a group camping trip scheduled up.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am in KANSAS!! Hoping to be in CO on Tuesday! No problems or issues.

Thanks!
M

·
Registered
389 Posts
Glad to hear your ride is going well. Was in Moab recently and found the ride in Canyonlands National Park very enjoyable, lot of twisties. Seen in an earlier post you were planning to go through there. Enjoy and Ride Safe

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Where did you come through here at?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went through the windy state of Kansas on rt. 36. I am 100? Miles from Denver.? I REALLY RESPECT those of you that can ride >500 miles a day..I can not.!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Went through the windy state of Kansas on rt. 36. I am 100? Miles from Denver.? I REALLY RESPECT those of you that can ride >500 miles a day..I can not.!
Same here. I don't think I could make it over 500 either.

I'm glad to here your trip is going well :)

Good luck through the remainder and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Moab

Rode down(west) on Rt.128 into Moab,UT this morning. It is a hard road to describe, but if you are an experienced rider,it sure puts a smile on your face-- BIG TIME. Will stay in Moab two nights as it seems a good "base" to ride from. Plan to do riding in early mornings as I wear ATGATT and I is quite toasty here in the day.Thanks to those of you who gave input..I took most suggestions and am having a "smiling good" time!!

M:desismiley1:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Glad your trip is going well, the La Sal loop would be a good ride during the day, takes you up on the mountain where it's much cooler and down thru Castle Valley and back onto 128 that you came in on. Ride Safe

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sky diving!!!!!!

After " doing" Arches N.P. Starting at 0400... I was at a NAPA store putting my license plate/antenna bracket back on(shook the screw loose). I decided I should enjoy myself like my great partner & wife told me too..so I went to Moab airport and jumped out of a plane at 10,000 feet!!!! WHAT A HOOT!:):) Will ride the aforementioned Mtn. Loop tomorrow am.
Thanks for your guys responses and good wishes! I am having a hoot!

M

1 - 20 of 29 Posts