Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody!

I'm planning on going up to Ontario next year to visit some of my relatives on my bike.
What all have you all needed to cross the Canadian or any country borders besides a passport and your sanity?
:policecar:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Depends on the border, I think.

Lots of useful info on ADVRider.com

Canada relatively simple; Mexico and Latin America more complex, requiring cash deposits, specific country insurance, original titles, etc.

·
Registered
541 Posts
When I toured through Canada, I got a special, short-term Canadian Medical Insurance Policy. If you check with your health insurance provider, they will probably tell you that they will cover medical expenses that may arise. The problem is that Canadian Hospitals and providers won’t accept your insurance, which means if you want attention you’ll be paying out of pocket work and that can be as expensive there as it is here.

Also my motorcycle insurance company sent me a special insurance card to carry that showed that I had the coverage types required in Canada.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on the border, I think.

Lots of useful info on ADVRider.com

Canada relatively simple; Mexico and Latin America more complex, requiring cash deposits, specific country insurance, original titles, etc.
Well, I don't plan on going to Mexico unless for some bizarre reason I have to for work. Even if I have to, they'd end up flying me there.

When I toured through Canada, I got a special, short-term Canadian Medical Insurance Policy. If you check with your health insurance provider, they will probably tell you that they will cover medical expenses that may arise. The problem is that Canadian Hospitals and providers won’t accept your insurance, which means if you want attention you’ll be paying out of pocket work and that can be as expensive there as it is here.

Also my motorcycle insurance company sent me a special insurance card to carry that showed that I had the coverage types required in Canada.
What do you mean by "special insurance card?" I didn't think that you really needed to have anything special in regards to the bike other than it be registered and insured.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The special insurance card is called a "Canadian Non-Resident Inter-Provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card." You can search it online, but a call to your insurance company would probably get you taken care of faster. I wasn't charged anything by my insurance company to get it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As well as insurance, they will refuce entry if you have any DUI on your record, no matter how petty. it was deemed here in the uS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts