Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a throttle lock for the KLR. Does anyone know a couple good brands or have any experence with them Thanks, David.

·
Administrator
8,276 Posts
Floppycod -

Gen1 or Gen2 KLR?

Most use either a bit of bungee cord to lightly jam the throttle or a Vista Cruise.

I have some pics of how to install a Vista Cruise. Pain in the butt, but it works.

I think the bungee cord idea is the simplest, possibly the most reliable. If I had thought of it before I installed my Vista Cruise, I wouldn't have installed my Vista Cruise.:)

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a Kaoko on my ST1300, and really like it. They make one for the '08 and later KLRs, but I haven't fitted one to my bike yet. I'd post their url, but i guess the forum won't let me; google kaoko. (I've only had the KLR two weeks, and the ST does the long distance duty.) The Kaoko is, in my opinion, easier to use than the Throttlemeister, at about the same price. Well made, and looks right on the bike.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I've got the CrampBuster too but I wouldn't consider it to be a throttle lock. It does let you open your hand while on the grip but a throttle lock will allow you to remove your hand from the grip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i love creative fixes, but am not so sure i understand how you use bungee cord to freeze throttle in place - one or two hands, wrapped?? around what ...?

·
Administrator
8,276 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
dddoooooohhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

the price of real humility is the honesty it costs to ask, and then say thank you, and mean it... thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I remember the first time I saw the bungie cord trick, as well as the hair rubber band trick.. So simple and yet I couldn't picture it until I saw a picture.. :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
thats funny right there ..now if that guy is going" yota" is commiting suicide lol ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thats a good Deal Just got done with a long trip and Surely would have enjoyed seeing this string Prior to my departure

·
Registered
7 Posts
UM, so how do I keep from killing myself Toyota style when using the bungee cord?? Doesn't look easy to disengage.
I thought that too... but i tried it anyway [my heirs keep praying for my spirit of adventureness to increase].

It "sets" real easy - use left hand. when you need to disengage... left hand if not in a hurry, right hand can roll it off - it keep throttle from rolling by internal spring but is not able to resist torque from hand/arm. worked very well on the narrow long parking lot between san antonio and el paso... not hand strains for either hand!

What similar "GREAT" fix do you all have for numb butt and "PITA"????

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
It's very much like any throttle lock.. http://www.throttlemeister.com/ Only cheaper!!

Up until 10 or so years ago, all BMW motorcycles came with a tapped hole on the bottom of the throttle. That hole was where you screwed in a spring loaded, knurled screw that had a nylon insert at the end, which put friction against the throttle tube from inside the throttle..

You just tightened it down to the point where the friction was enough to take your hand off the throttle and it'd hold speed.. Of course, lawyers for BMW had it removed due to liability.. I worked really nice..

Even with the bungee cord, you still have complete control of the throttle with almost zero effort.. It just doesn't roll back automatically.

I also know people that use women's hair scrunchies around the throttle, between it and the throttle housing.. Basically, you're just looking for something to put a bit of friction on the throttle to make it less likely to rotate back under spring tension.

So, be inventive and CAREFUL!! (I'm not a lawyer, but I stay at Holiday Inn Expresses all the time)

·
Administrator
8,276 Posts
...What similar "GREAT" fix do you all have for numb butt and "PITA"????
longrider -

Unfortunately, the KLR seat is just an ass-hatchet unless you weigh about 75 pounds.

I found that simply widening the seat to the full width of the pan helped tremendously. That's essentially what a Corbin or Sargent seat is, though they will customize a bit for you and offer different foam densities. I went with some pretty stiff foam when I home-brewed my seat.

So, for long-term comfort, you're looking at a new seat. If you want to be able to ride for a couple of hours the Sargent/Corbin style may be just the ticket. If you want to pile on 1000 mile days, you should look into some of the more fully customized seats like a Russell.

Do quite a bit of research before you lay out the cash - this is an expensive proposition unless you're going the home-brew route.

Tom

1 - 20 of 34 Posts