Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a bit above halfway on the temp gauge so far since I got the bike a few weeks ago and have yet to hear the fan come on. Hasn't been super hot outside either and this bike temp gauge jumps around like cheap hooker so when do most of you notice the fan coming on. Like how close to the red?

·
Administrator
9,301 Posts
I have been playing with a Gen 1 radiator and fan switch the past few days. The fan comes on at a head temperature of 215°F (which is what you see on the gauge) which correlates to 202°F at the bottom of the radiator.

It turns off at 207°F at the head and 189°F at the bottom of the radiator. All of this is a static test on the side stand; I don't know what the rolling equilibrium numbers will be

215°F on your 2014 should be just above the screw.

On my Gen 2 radiator, I see a 37°F spread from the head to the bottom of the radiator when riding (I call this the 'rolling equilibrium' because I like to make up fancy sounding shit). The switch an the Gen 2 is supposed to activate at 203°F to 214°F, so you might expect to see the fan come on at a head temperature of 240°F to 251°F. That is about three needle widths from the red.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I have been a bit above halfway on the temp gauge so far since I got the bike a few weeks ago and have yet to hear the fan come on. Hasn't been super hot outside either and this bike temp gauge jumps around like cheap hooker . . .
Just wondering . . . what's the difference between how cheap hookers and how expensive hookers jump around?

:)

KLR engine temperatures will vary markedly in operation; less so with a Thermo-Bob installed. Some insist the "heat cycling" causes severe, drastic, and irreversible damage to unknown engine components, but . . . actual data on the premise remains elusive.

Same with, "thermal shock," the temperature difference within the cooling system network when the thermostat opens . . .

Regardless, as long as your temperature gauge needle stays out of the far red zone; fear not. Aside from the possible long-term calamities mentioned, your bike is operating within safe limits.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wondering . . . what's the difference between how cheap hookers and how expensive hookers jump around?

:)

KLR engine temperatures will vary markedly in operation; less so with a Thermo-Bob installed. Some insist the "heat cycling" causes severe, drastic, and irreversible damage to unknown engine components, but . . . actual data on the premise remains elusive.

Same with, "thermal shock," the temperature difference within the cooling system network when the thermostat opens . . .

Regardless, as long as your temperature gauge needle stays out of the far red zone; fear not. Aside from the possible long-term calamities mentioned, your bike is operating within safe limits.
If you have to ask, you can't even afford the cheap hookers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
For reference,
I don't have a fancy temp gauge on my bike, and I've never measured how hot things are, so can't provide as much insight into the answer as the others have. However, I can answer the original question that was asked. The fan on my bike comes on about 3/4 to 7/8 of the way to top of the gauge, so just a bit before the needle reaches the red zone. It doesn't happen very often. Typically it has to be pretty hot out and I have to be sitting. Once the fan comes on, the temp drops fast.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don't have a fancy temp gauge on my bike, and I've never measured how hot things are, so can't provide as much insight into the answer as the others have. However, I can answer the original question that was asked. The fan on my bike comes on about 3/4 to 7/8 of the way to top of the gauge, so just a bit before the needle reaches the red zone. It doesn't happen very often. Typically it has to be pretty hot out and I have to be sitting. Once the fan comes on, the temp drops fast.
Mine reacts the same.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
To test your fan and fan switch let the engine idle until the needle gets up near the red zone. You should hear the fan come on and feel hot air blowing out the left side under the gas tank.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My fan is controlled as one of the functions of my digital instrument unit. The fan comes on at 210 F (measured by the head sensor) and stays on at that temperature and above. It turns off when the temperature drops below 210 F.

Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's exactly my case with my 2011 KLR.
In heavy traffic the fan goes on just before the red zone (no numbers on my gauge).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's exactly my case with my 2011 KLR.
In heavy traffic the fan goes on just before the red zone (no numbers on my gauge).
OK. Mine has gotten a smidgen lower than your "just before the red zone" so maybe that's why it hasn't come on yet. Going to be 90 this weekend so maybe I'll get to see it happen.

·
Administrator
9,301 Posts
My fan is controlled as one of the functions of my digital instrument unit. The fan comes on at 210 F (measured by the head sensor) and stays on at that temperature and above. It turns off when the temperature drops below 210 F.

Ron
That seems like a strange choice if a Thermo-Bob is installed, as the fan would be on all the time.

·
Administrator
9,301 Posts
...I'm running a 180 F thermostat. I've got a 685 and a Thermo-Bob. The bike is happier with the 180...

Ron
I figured you had that one covered, Ron ;^).

Any chance you're tracking oil temperatures? I believe that hot 'n thin is good and have trouble getting the temps up and keeping them there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I figured you had that one covered, Ron ;^).

Any chance you're tracking oil temperatures? I believe that hot 'n thin is good and have trouble getting the temps up and keeping them there.
No. Just tracking ambient air and coolant temps. It would probably scare me if I knew what the oil temp was. :surprise:

Ron

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.