Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
8,814 Posts
Yeah, it would. You'd spit out coffee that was that cold. That's only half in jest, as the oil gets downright cool when ambient temps drop below about 60°F. By blocking all the holes in my engine guard and skid plate I manage to get the oil temp up to into the low 200°F teens when ambients are above 70°F.

I have a T-Bob 3 mounted backward at the radiator outlet. My head temps are right around 210-212°F and 174°F at the T-Bob.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Now you're getting me curious, Tom. I may have to think about this measuring oil temp stuff.

The only problem I can see is the probe placement. So far, I can't think of any good way to get a probe down in the oil. Do you suppose a probe mounted externally (epoxied?) on the crankcase somewhere out of the wind would give an accurate indication of the oil temp?

Ron

·
Administrator
8,814 Posts
My oil temp probe is in the test port. The pump pushes oil right past it on its way to the oil filter. The one I am using is a Trail Tech that came with one of their TTO series of gauges. That would be an easy route to go to get a sensor; they have a number of threads available. I have no idea if they would be compatible with your Arduino stuff.

This, of course, is sump temperature. Every other place is too small to put a sensor into a pressurized flow with obstructing the flow.

I am using the sensor that is set up for a soft washer seal that is threaded M6. I chose that one because it was easy to spot face and tap the test port screw to M6 and the M6 sensor had a long tip on it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My oil temp probe is in the test port. The pump pushes oil right past it on its way to the oil filter. The one I am using is a Trail Tech that came with one of their TTO series of gauges. That would be an easy route to go to get a sensor; they have a number of threads available. I have no idea if they would be compatible with your Arduino stuff.

This, of course, is sump temperature. Every other place is too small to put a sensor into a pressurized flow with obstructing the flow.

I am using the sensor that is set up for a soft washer seal that is threaded M6. I chose that one because it was easy to spot face and tap the test port screw to M6 and the M6 sensor had a long tip on it.
Great job on the sensor!

BTW, I'm not using Arduino. All my stuff is homebrew (built around Microchip PICs) so compatibility isn't an issue.

Ron

·
Administrator
8,814 Posts
...BTW, I'm not using Arduino. All my stuff is homebrew (built around Microchip PICs) so compatibility isn't an issue...
My mistake, I assumed Arduino. I have tried poking around some Arduino sites to see if it is something I could do. It might be.

I think to do the Microchip PIC would require a great deal of peripheral knowledge that the Arduino bypasses (and so, my hat is off to you!).

I have wondered what my dash could look like, instead of its collection of Vapor, TTO, switches, and LEDs, if it were al large, touch-sensitive screen. It would probably take me a year to come up to speed enough with Arduino.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My sporty has an oil temp gauge that is just the oil filler cap. Would be nice if there were some such for these bikes. I, for one, do not believe that the head temperature swing as wildly as the temperature gauge indicates. FYI in mid summer in slow traffic, my air cooled 1200 only registers about 210-220

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
And your Sportster air cooled cylinder heads, rocker box area is probably running at about 300F, patroy75.

It is the Hot cylinder head which primarily heats the engine oil in both the KLR & the Sportster, imo. The engine & transmission cases are the 'radiator' for the engine oil.

Reactions: roadrash83

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have wondered what my dash could look like, instead of its collection of Vapor, TTO, switches, and LEDs, if it were al large, touch-sensitive screen. It would probably take me a year to come up to speed enough with Arduino.
I think the Arduino system is really good. Not only do they have general purpose utility boards available there's a lot of code already written to do just about anything a person could want.

Here's a pic of my dash. There are some switches here and there, but it's reasonably uncluttered.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I think the Arduino system is really good. Not only do they have general purpose utility boards available there's a lot of code already written to do just about anything a person could want.

Here's a pic of my dash. There are some switches here and there, but it's reasonably uncluttered.

Ron
That looks really good but it's going to melt. man I feel like I am being a total downer today.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks 3d printed. None of that will handle summer heat combined with the heat off the motor.
Gotcha, thanks.

It is 3d printed (with PLA). I've tested it to over 200 degrees without issue.

Ron

·
Administrator
8,814 Posts
...Here's a pic of my dash. There are some switches here and there, but it's reasonably uncluttered....
For comparison, here's what mine looks like these days.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My sporty has an oil temp gauge that is just the oil filler cap. Would be nice if there were some such for these bikes. I, for one, do not believe that the head temperature swing as wildly as the temperature gauge indicates. FYI in mid summer in slow traffic, my air cooled 1200 only registers about 210-220

With the rear cyl being blocked by the front, if it had a wet sump your oil would be running much hotter. The big difference between the two would be that the Harley runs a dry sump and your oil gets considerable cooling by being pumped to a remote reservoir.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
With the rear cyl being blocked by the front, if it had a wet sump your oil would be running much hotter. The big difference between the two would be that the Harley runs a dry sump and your oil gets considerable cooling by being pumped to a remote reservoir.
My ass says that it doesn't cool off by much :) Also, SOLD THE SPORTY WEDNESDAY!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
The fan on mine doesn't turn on till a couple needle widths from the red. Normal

21 - 38 of 38 Posts