Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. I'm a new (used) klr owner and a designer/drafter in my day job.

We do a lot of laser cut parts at work, and I was able to sneek an order for one of these in stainless steel. I should have the plate soon, but wanted to share the design since I'm pretty excited about it.

It's designed to bolt right in place of the stock plastic luggage plate that ships with the KLR. A couple spacers will be required for the 2 center bolts that tie to the sub frame on the KLR. Stock bolts can be used, but myself i'll be replacing the stock bolts with stainless flat head sockets.

I'll post photos once I have the part installed ... Stay Tuned!

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
If you post the pictures to a Photo hosting site such as PhotoBucket and then send me the links in a PM I will add them for you.

Is it your plan to be making these plates available for sale?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you post the pictures to a Photo hosting site such as PhotoBucket and then send me the links in a PM I will add them for you.

Is it your plan to be making these plates available for sale?
Sending a PM shortly....

If there is enough interest, I can get more made cheaply (qty affects price)... In that eventuality, I'd want to get my beak wet, but I'm terribly serious about trying to sell aftermarket parts as a business, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm.. tried sending a PM, but nothing is showing up in my "sent items" folder...

Let me know if you see the PM.. .Thanks!

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
Here are the photos:

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
That bike looks awesome. Love the white. Did you do the mods on it?? Like to learn more. Which forks are in the bike??

Plate is a great Idea and I personally like to see more offered for the Gen 1's. Slight bias on my part. Seems like anything new that comes out is only aimed at the Gen 2 market. There's only what?, a billion Gen 1's roaming the planet.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That is a sharp looking bike! Despite not having side covers it still looks "finished". Love that red frame.

Ditto on more aftermarket support for Gen 1. It's basically nonexistent, which boggles my mind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That bike looks awesome. Love the white. Did you do the mods on it?? Like to learn more. Which forks are in the bike??
Thanks! I didn't do the mods myself....craigslist score a few weeks back. Turns out I knew the previous owner and worked with him at a bike shop for several years. Knowing him and his skills, I felt really good about the build quality, & the purchase... Small world!

Forks & ft wheel are from a 04 WR450f, valved and sprung for the KLR's weight and mine (200lbs). Shock is an extended length Cogent.

Some other things of interest on the bike ..... Leo Vince X3 exhaust, IMS tank, Vapor dash, EBC 320 rotor heated grips, Galfer lines, Steel pegs, blade type fuse upgrade, gel seat, KLX jet kit, IMS extended shifter, 2HE's extended clutch arm, LED brake light, Applied Racing triples, stainless header from 08+, 5v accessory, etc., etc.

I also got a complete/working 96 motor, carb & radiator, PLUS a not yet installed snitz 685 forged piston & kit -- that'll be one of my winter projects!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a build thread over on advrider.com, and I have a ton more photos, but still too few posts to link externally.. gimme a few days and i'll post for anyone interested

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also have the Pac Rat pannier rack that came with side loading pelican cases -- gonna swap those for top loading with custom laser cut & formed brackets to fit the Pac Rat rack -- stay tuned for photos of those too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plate is a great Idea and I personally like to see more offered for the Gen 1's. Slight bias on my part. Seems like anything new that comes out is only aimed at the Gen 2 market. There's only what?, a billion Gen 1's roaming the planet.

I hear you and agree. I'm all for making parts or accessories for older KLRs if people are interested..

I was hesitant to suggest my laser cut plates would be for sale or anything like that... A while back I got banned from bushcraftusa for linking to my 3d printing page.. they called it vendor solicitation.. Not what my posts were about, but thats what they called it... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not interested in stepping on any toes if there are rules about such things here.

Anyway.. thanks and glad to be here!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Alrighty... I think i have my 15 posts in so here is a photo of the custom Laser Cut Gen1 Luggage plate..

Its .25" #304 Stainless plate. It just showed up and still has some blast marks & scale from the laser that I'll need to clean up.. I also intend to countersink the holes for flush mounted hardware

Woop!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts