Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not one to make videos nor am I good at fabrication so I’ll just post some pics of my seat modification, I’m lowering my seat 2 inches and have no clue what I’m doing but I jumped in and started cutting away but first I needed to figure out what to cut seat with and then I got the idea to use my electric fillet knife and this is where I am in the project, from start to where I am now took me about 45 minutes.
FF66B8A8-5ECD-4823-A6C6-E321BD393B57.jpeg
3F2AB14C-8A6F-46DA-8F36-9D041CE600A8.jpeg
5F348903-CCA2-4105-8B4B-B9B31EB3D190.jpeg
07BF0C45-8506-4C8B-BE98-3CC6BEA53B82.jpeg
F93A5A8E-6548-4E9B-BFB9-33F368F20C20.jpeg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That pics didn’t turn out the way I wanted but I’ll get this site figured out in time.

Now I think I’m going to find my long files and some sandpaper to contour and clean up the cut area.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok after filing and sanding the seat I now have it ready to be covered, I used a rasp file and 80 grit sandpaper to get all the ruff areas smoothed out.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
908 Posts
Before you put the cover on permanently, put it on loosely and sit on the seat foe a few minutes to make sure you got the shape the way you want it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before you put the cover on permanently, put it on loosely and sit on the seat foe a few minutes to make sure you got the shape the way you want it.
Yep I was thinking about that as I was shaping it, I have a set of risers coming and I’ll get those on and then test fit the seat.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
908 Posts
If you need to glue some back, 3M super spray adhesive works well. Also pay attention to the front side edges that they don’t develop hot spots on your inner thighs. Might want to round them over a bit.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This is what I ended up with doing the same thing, couldn't make it look nice, worked nice, looked bad. That's why I went and dropped it off at dudes upholstery.
I have done many Harley seats, and they turned out very nice, but couldn't do the klr.
Hope yours works out.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I’ll see how it fits and maybe round the edges a little more like the seats on my Electra Glide and Softail are, I’m just glade I got the look I was going after without messing it up hahaha, on a side note my KLR came with Tusk Aluminum panniers and I’m thinking about painting them black, think they would look better on the bike but that’s for a different post.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Although it's a great seat for you, what if, at some point, you decide to trade up or sell this KLR? This will reduce your asking price since it's no longer stock. Furthermore, this could force the new owner to purchase a new seat if he/she isn't interested in the customization of yours. One thing I'm grateful for on used machines is if the PO has the original stock items he's removed so I can have a original version should I desire. I can't tell you how much reverse engineering I've done on projects in the past. I guess the foam backing can be replaced if needed. These are things I think about is all. Nice job on your custom seat.

Reactions: ranger56528

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Although it's a great seat for you, what if, at some point, you decide to trade up or sell this KLR? This will reduce your asking price since it's no longer stock. Furthermore, this could force the new owner to purchase a new seat if he/she isn't interested in the customization of yours. One thing I'm grateful for on used machines is if the PO has the original stock items he's removed so I can have a original version should I desire. I can't tell you how much reverse engineering I've done on projects in the past. I guess the foam backing can be replaced if needed. These are things I think about is all. Nice job on your custom seat.
KBear I know what your saying. I bought a stock seat off a 011 for 80.00 dollars online before I started this project so if I failed or decided I didn’t like it I have a backup seat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also bought a stock exhaust because it has a Big Gun on it now and I think I want to go back to stock.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for sharing this experience.
I probably should of went with a 100 grit but I was all out and 120 was a bit light, I wrapped the sheet of sandpaper around a 20oz bottle and used that as a backing and it worked out good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After I test fit it on the bike I’ll go over it one last time and I might round the back of the seat a bit more, will have to see how it feels when I sit on it, I just ordered some marine grade vinyl with backing for it and need to get a new can of spray adhesive, mine doesn’t spay anymore for some reason after years of sitting in the garage hahaha, ordered staples for it too so now I’ll be ready to finish it next weekend.

·
Registered
2013 KLR650
3 Posts
I’m not one to make videos nor am I good at fabrication so I’ll just post some pics of my seat modification, I’m lowering my seat 2 inches and have no clue what I’m doing but I jumped in and started cutting away but first I needed to figure out what to cut seat with and then I got the idea to use my electric fillet knife and this is where I am in the project, from start to where I am now took me about 45 minutes.
View attachment 29089 View attachment 29089
View attachment 29090 View attachment 29090
View attachment 29091 View attachment 29091
View attachment 29092 View attachment 29092
View attachment 29093 View attachment 29093
Reason for lowering seat ?
Greg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reason for lowering seat ?
Greg
Last 30 years I’ve been riding my bikes with a low seat height( 26”-28” ) so I’m not used to the higher seat height of these types of bikes, I feel more comfortable when I can stand flat footed, back in 2000 I ended up breaking my right Femar in five places so now I can’t really depend on my leg holding up and having a lower seat height just helps me maintain balance when I stop.
I’m sure the higher seat height is something I will eventually get used to but for now as I transition over to dual sport/ adventure riding from riding a FLT or FLHTC and a Softail all these years I just want to feel the most comfortable as I can and if 2” helps I’ll take it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I did a test fit and sit and I could feel the back of the seat pushing on me a bit so I cut the angle of the seat a bit more swept back and now it feels good, I also kept the front of the seat a tad higher so I won’t feel the need to slide forward, now I’ll just smooth it out more and good to go,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I should add that I’m just about flat footed now, I’m 5’11 with about a 30” inseam.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts