Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing a new fuel filter - I noticed fuel will not run into the filter when hooked to the carburetor. Fuel runs out of the tank no problem. I am wondering if I have the fuel lines hooked up correctly:
1. metal connection on top of front of carb is connected to tank gas cap.
2. Grey plastic connection (next to choke) on left side is vent to air.
3. Lower black connection on left side is fuel in.
4. bottom is drain

tank line is clear and air line is clear - no mud wasp nests!

Any ideas? thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Interesting! How much fuel in the tank?
Does the bike run?
If it doesn't run, the float valve (insert exact name here) may be stuck closed.
Can you blow into the bowl from the out side of the filter?

Don't think I was much help. But there are a lot of variables.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Don't quite follow your hose-and-connection nomenclature!

Critical: Petcock to carburetor fuel inlet.

Carburetor vacuum connection to petcock.

With suction applied to vacuum hose, fuel should run freely from petcock to carb.

Simple test: Apply vacuum to petcock through vacuum connection hose; fuel should run freely from tank through petcock and carburetor fuel line. Or, yank the fuel line off the petcock and see if fuel runs into a container held to catch the flow. If you've got flow there, you should get flow into the carburetor float bowl hrough the main fuel line when the engine cranks.

Not sure? Open float bowl drain, use catch basin of some sort, and see if fuel flows from float bowl drain (after initial volume purged) when engine is cranked (both vacuum hose and fuel line connected up).

Assume you're aware; fuel will NOT flow from a stock petcock unless vacuum is applied.

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
After installing a new fuel filter - I noticed fuel will not run into the filter when hooked to the carburetor. Fuel runs out of the tank no problem. I am wondering if I have the fuel lines hooked up correctly:
1. metal connection on top of front of carb is connected to tank gas cap.

Any ideas? thanks!
#1,
If the float bowl is already full, it doesn't yet need to be Re-Filled! So the float valve would be closed.
#2,
I'm guessing that you have a Manual Fuel Valve?

#3,
The top front brass fitting on the carb is Intended to be connected to the vacuum diaphragm of the OEM automatic fuel valve. If one is using a manual fuel valve that fitting on the Carb needs to be Capped!

The fuel tank vent hose Off of the Back of the tank needs to just dangle freely behind the engine, along side the shock spring.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It always helps to mention the year model of your KLR. Pre 2008 have different line connections than 2008 and newer . I assume yours is pre 2008. If your KLR is newer than 2007, the comments below will need to be slightly altered.

The metal connection on top of the forward carburetor throat is meant to connect to the forward and inward side of the stock petcock to operate the vacuum powered petcock to open or close the internal valve in the petcock. This allows fuel to flow when there is vacuum due to the running engine but, stops the fuel when the engine is off (no vacuum), Thus you don't have to open and close the petcock each time you start/stop the engine. If you have a replacement petcock which DOES NOT have the benefit of the vacuum power valve, it will have only one connection and the top carburetor connection should be sealed off and not connected to anything.

Does your petcock have one or two tube connection points?

As pdwestman stated the line from the back of the tank is a drain line and should just dangle down behind the engine to drain any gas that might be splashed out of the gas cap not connected to the carburetor.

If you have a stock petcock, it should have stock strainers inside the tank and an inline filter should not be needed. Some have reported problems with paper type filters and sintered metal ones are recommended if used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts