Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
One of the funniest things I ever saw...

Was up in Bridgeport, along the main drag, when I heard a 'potato-potato-potato' sound coming, but the only thing I could see was a motorhome. Wondered where the Harley was.

It was on the back of the motor home, hooked onto one of those sort of things. The poor bastard had been towed down 395, probably at ~60 mph and probably in first gear.

Figure out a way that the bike can't get popped into first or second while being towed.

I wonder what it cost to fix that Harley?

T

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I have a similar one, but I'm afraid to use it. I think I'd only use it for a quick tow to the shop for a few miles. Seems like it would put a lot of stress on the front end, and My trucks bumper is pretty high.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it would only be for short trips. at most 60 miles.
I can weld one up to fit my bike.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I hate linking to the other KLR site all the time, but there are some helpful threads over there... Here is a thread about a similar hauler that the fellow used to haul his newly purchased KLR home with behind his van. If I recall, it was a fairly long distance he had to tow. Anyway, here's the link... Hope you don't get the dreaded "Server Busy!" message :)
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83319

Hope this helps your decision.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I hate linking to the other KLR site all the time, but there are some helpful threads over there... Here is a thread about a similar hauler that the fellow used to haul his newly purchased KLR home with behind his van. If I recall, it was a fairly long distance he had to tow. Anyway, here's the link... Hope you don't get the dreaded "Server Busy!" message :)
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83319

Hope this helps your decision.
Thanks for the link.
That dude took his from Austin to Dallas. That's about 200 miles. He did not remove the chain. I wonder how it held up in the long term?

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I bought my new KLR a couple weeks ago they had one of these also and I thought it would be great to get, easy, affordable and no tag or registration required as other trailers have to be.

Then they told me they would sell me the bike, but that this system could easily tear up the farings so they would not sell me the hitch.

I figured they probably new what they were talking about...

·
Registered
3 Posts
distance does'nt matter

if it kicks into gear it only takes a few miles to tear things up, always take the chain off. I towed an IT 250 without taking the chain off, so the two issues it had when it jumped into gear were being a two stroke the piston had no lubrication so I had to rebuild the engine, that's not a big deal but going down the hwy in first the rear tire couldn't keep up so it slid and dragged and kept doing it thru the rim once the tire was gone, other than that it towed great.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
if it kicks into gear it only takes a few miles to tear things up, always take the chain off. I towed an IT 250 without taking the chain off, so the two issues it had when it jumped into gear were being a two stroke the piston had no lubrication so I had to rebuild the engine, that's not a big deal but going down the hwy in first the rear tire couldn't keep up so it slid and dragged and kept doing it thru the rim once the tire was gone, other than that it towed great.

Ugg....

Welcome to the forum... :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well if I build one I'll have to make something to lock the gear shift in place so that won't happen to me.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
If your handy with a welder, have you considered building one of those receiver hitch carriers? I think they would be the cat's meow as they get the whole bike off the ground and don't interfere with backing up or anything. The only catch is that you have to have a large enough vehicle to hang the extra weight on the back of it. I don't think they would be terribly hard to fab up though, not much to them either :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would do that and actually have a hitch rack, but I drive a Jeep Wrangler and the max tongue weight is like 500lbs or less and I would have to have it hang off the back at least 1 1/2ft which would probably snap my hitch off at a bump or if I'm luck just bend, Either way I don't want my 500lb bike falling off on the highway.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Okey doke, just throwing the suggestion out there. I didn't know what kind of jeep you had. I only have a Pontiac G6 so I'm pretty much stuck with a small utility trailer.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How about just zip tying the clutch lever so that even if a bump makes it jump into gear it won't turn the engine over.
Taking the chain off would be ideal for longer tows, but I would mostly need this just to drop off a vehicle or pull it up when we camp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
easy fix

I own one of these too, but my bumper is so high on my truck that I can't get the bike up there.
Any fab shop could easily cut the 2" square tube off, add a drop piece down as many inches as you need and weld the rack back on, add two gussets and presto you have a lower rack and a easy way to haul.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts