Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone in the midwest still riding during the winter, i am here in central MO and use my bike as my main sorce of transportation since the wife gets the car, any ideas to stay warm for those who ride year round

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I quit riding because they've started putting brine down on bridges around here..

Want to stay warm? Buy the clothes made for winter riding... Think Snowmobile.. :)

I have Klim Klimate jacket that keeps me amazingly warm.. Not cheap, but very warm.. Anyway, just go and look for used snowmobile jackets, gloves, bibs, etc.. They'll keep you warm..

·
Registered
452 Posts
any of the Army new silks (like underarmor) with waffle combo under my Teknic jacket and pants is awsome combo below 30* my hands tend tobe first to suffer so i have 3 combos on my bike for each temp my heated grips can no longer keep up with .

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Layers. Especially at the core. A sweater vest helps a lot. Looks a little dorky.... :)

Glove liners...(in a pinch shop gloves under your regular gloves help a lot.)

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
It seems the keys are: 1. How far you're riding. 2. How fast you're planning on riding.

I think you'll find the hands are the hardest part to keep warm, but I ride down to 35 by switching to a pair of nylon-shell Thinsulate lined hunting gloves. They keep my hands warm, but don't offer much in the way of crash protection.

As long as you don't mind putting on a bunch of layered, wind-resistant clothing, you should do fine with that as long as you're not riding great distances at great speeds.

I've never had a problem with my feet as long as I keep my boots tucked up tight against the engine.

I've considered heated grips but just really don't want to mess with them. One day I probably will invest in some better gloves with a good combination of insulation and padding/protection.

As long as you're not riding hundreds of miles cross-country, I think the above advice of good thermal underclothing, layering and snowmobile-type jacket and pants would enable you to remain relatively comfortable in some pretty low temperatures.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I really like my Wally black overalls for about $60. Nice and warm for cheap. You could wear whatever work clothes under them. Put your insulated riding jacket over that and you've got double layers on your core. I recently got some cheap and amazingly warm gloves from Menards for $1.99. For a neck gator I bought a $1 stocking hat from Wally and cut the top off. BAM, instant gator. And I use a $.99 balaclava from rckymtn.
Works good on the cheap.

·
Registered
452 Posts
also adding those cheap heat packs to inside pockets on my jacket is just like having a heated vest only its far cheaper and dont pull any of our 12v power . wally world just sold a heat pack for 18 hrs for less than 75 cents .

i also have the smaller toe and glove packs that burn for 9 hrs in my bags ..shove them in your gloves and socks and it works great ..used themaloton the snow machines in -45 ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts