Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, i hit a deer with my 08klr. Shes not too banged up. I will need to replace all 3 fairing pieces, cluster or just housing, handle bars, mirrors, and hand guards. I dont care what color the fairing pieces are, or if theyre used or new. Any idea where i can get these on the cheap? For the bars, guards, and mirrors i would like to go aftermarket. Any thoughts on going with taller bars? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Benson

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Ouch! That's one of my biggest fears, hitting wildlife on my bike. Bikes a little banged up but how did you make out?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The worst of it is a broken left arm at the wrist, road rash on my knees and friction burns on my elbows from my jacket. I saw the deer just before impact. I think i hit the deers neck with my fairing. The deer was crossing from left to right, i went down to the right with the impact. The bike and i were on the ground for 100+ feet, i was able to tuck and roll and roll and roll. I really want to investigate the sight so i know how far i was on the ground. it was just shy of 11:30pm. I was wearing blue jeans, a fleece jacket with a non insulated carhart jacket over top, my helmet, and riding gloves.

Benson

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Sounds painful, especially the broken arm! I was curious as I've hit 3 deer over the years in my cages, one very nearly wrote off my S-10 pickup that was only a few years old at the time. Hoping for a quick recovery for you.

As far as the fairing pieces, the only place I can really think of to get some reasonably priced used parts would be eBay. If you have to replace the instrument cluster you could go for a Vapor, but I'm not sure which would work out cheaper?

Wishing you the best of luck in finding all the part's to get your trusty KLR back on the road! :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Glad you were not injured any worse. It may be a day late, and a dollar short; but the most dangerous time is the week before --and the week after election day.(deer very active trying to make little Bambis!
I use Bike Bandit for a lot of replacement parts--OEM. they are not Walmart cheap, but they run a good business.
Enjoy the process...good for the soul!! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a spare stock handlebar and believe that I have a space pair of stock hand guards. I'd be happy to send them all to you for a reasonable price.

I'll double check on the hand guards tonight.

Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I found the plastics and a cluster assy on the ebay for cheap. Just gotta wait till the auction ends.

I would still appriate suggestions on aftermarket bars, guards and mirrors.

Gene, thanks for the offer. I will definitely keep it in mind.

Benson.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Deer

Hitting anything with a bike is tough. Glad you weren't hurt more seriously.

My wife & I hit a medium sized bear cub with our Prius. Banged up front bumper pretty bad. I'd hate to think of hitting it with my bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im healin up great. The deer was knocked out cold, slowly came to then was spooked off by an on coming semi. It hobbled off fairly slowly. I hope it died later. That is the third deer i've hit. Two in cages and this one. I have also hit a turkey just after it took off with in a cage. Wildlife and i dont get along very well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident.

I've had the luck to hit 5 over the years but thankfully all when driving cars. It's made me a believer in deer whistles. I know it sounds like BS but I now have them on all vehicles and the bikes. At #4 the county mounty that wrote up the report for insurance asked if I had them and then proceeded to tell me that the 40 + squads they had all did (McHenry Co. Il). No hits since---just saying that $5 or so bucks might keep the bucks away!

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
Steve Krause,
I've always been pretty skeptical of 'deer whistles'. I've looked into their throats and seen them plugged with bugs, "how can that work, more than a day?"

Well maybe I ought to try a pair!

Just missed a nice Whitetail buck, today! Took a 50 mile ride in 50 degree Wyo. At about Mile twelve while I'm doing 45 mph, this nice buck jumped the fence to my right and paused on the road, as I hit the brakes the rear tire 'barked', the buck spun-out on the cold asphalt but cleared my path! Whew! He leaped over the LH fence line, but crash-landed because of the irrigation ditch. Tumbling out thru the frozen brown hay field, legs and hooves a-flailing. He got up and seemed to be OK. Large white flag a wavin'. But served him right, to take a tumble!

I totaled a Ninja 900 in 1987, roughed up my 1988 Ford Ranger in 1992. Both on deer. I've had 5 or 6 near misses since, all on the KLR! One was even a Black Bear Cub! Do you suppose he would have paid-attention to a deer whistle? Just askin'?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts