Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I missed you guys. Maybe too much.

So last summer I sold my 2011 orange beauty and bought the "other" orange bike.

Fast forward to today: I ended up buying a 2008 that had been mistreated. The previous owner (who knew some of the folks on this site ) just didn't maintain it. It has a little over 50k miles on the odometer and has some added accessories (HappyTrail bash plate, Scott's stainless oil filter, Moose Racing front rim, with rim lock, etc. Some mods had been done (DHS, .22 cent mod).

The bike burned oil and in 2012, finally died on the side of the road. Not having the money to repair it, he parked it outside with no cover. Along with sun damage, someone drilled out the ignition in an attempt to steal it.

So I got it home today and started looking through it. Haven't opened up the sides yet, but the oil filter is covered with very fine metal particles. Haven't drained the oil, but I'd guess there are bigger pieces. He also stated it was popping out of gear before it died. I'm guessing the head/bearing are toast. I'll get into it soon and see what's up.

So, I have a project on my hands, but I like that kind of stuff. Plus, KLR people are good people. And I live right down the road from Eagle Mike.

I placed a want ad for some items in the Classified section if you have anything to sell.

Until then, I could use your advice, encouragement and gentle prodding.

Great to be back, fellas.

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
That was the metal fragments on a napkin from the oil filter.

Here's the bike...

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Hi Dan! Great to see you back with another KLR! Looks just look my 08 :).
I'm sure you'll get a better idea once you tear into it what you'll all need, but I'm guessing at a minimum a new head and cams and caps. It would probably be a good time to do a rebore and the 685 kit if finances allow to solve the oil burning once and for all.

Not to sure why it would be popping out of gear, hopefully some others will have some insight into that one. I don't think that would have anything to do with it being run low on oil though.

In the long run it might be more economical to drop a whole new used motor into the old girl if you can find one for a decent price as the heads tend to run fairly expensive. 685 kit and machine work is a few bucks too, so I'm not sure what would come out cheaper. Depends on how much you want to tear into it as well, getting a replacement engine would be the quickest way to get it back to a runner.

Otherwise the bike looks pretty solid from the pics, if you got it for a good price I would say you did well. Of course, I'm partial to the blue 08's... Lol

Please keep us posted on the rebuild :character00201:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Stew. Good to be back.

Yeah, you're pretty much spot on. Once I know more about what's going on inside I'll decide on what I'll do (head/cams, 685 kit, new motor, etc).

Regardless, I'm happy to be back with the KLR community. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
dan returns

Just wanted to say hi and welcome back to the klr community. I worked for sdg&e from 99 to 2005 and lived up in san clemente. Lots of great riding out there (glamis was awsome) as well as the feather river canyon up in N. Cal.

Anyway good luck with your new project, she looks like a very solid platform on which to build.

Lineman222

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to say hi and welcome back to the klr community. I worked for sdg&e from 99 to 2005 and lived up in san clemente. Lots of great riding out there (glamis was awsome) as well as the feather river canyon up in N. Cal.

Anyway good luck with your new project, she looks like a very solid platform on which to build.

Lineman222
Thanks!

Isn't that Glen Campbell tune -- Wichita Lineman -- great?

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Glad to see you back on a KLR Dan! Once you get her running - and if you ever make it into the area around Northern Utah, feel free to message me. If I'm not working, I'll be more than happy to throw something on the grill!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I like hearing that! Will be in Southern Utah later this month after I ride the AZ BDR from the Mexican border to the UT border.

Then I'm heading to Jon's annual KLR ride in AZ. You plan on attending that?

PM coming to you now.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Unfortunately Dan, I won't be able to attend this year. My wife and I are having a new house built here in Tooele, and we're going to be putting our current home on the market later this month. We'll be homeless for a bit - but we'll be able to live in our 5th wheel while the construction is finished up.

Oh, and the invite is open for you, or any other rider passing through Tooele, to stop in for a grilled dinner. Just give me some advance notice so I can locate a couple of decent rib eye steaks before you arrive.

Also, there are a lot of good places to ride in this area, so if I'm not working, I'm game for a ride!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, and the invite is open for you, or any other rider passing through Tooele, to stop in for a grilled dinner. Just give me some advance notice so I can locate a couple of decent rib eye steaks before you arrive.
^^^^^^THAT ^^^^^^

That is what I'm talking about! The KLR community at its finest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts