Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this out for discussion as it's kind of a pet peeve of mine. I've been a rider all of my life. I recall when cell phones came out the discussion was to keep them in your pocket, not mounted on the bike in case of an accident. My cousin and her partner are trauma nurses in Oregon and ride. Cousin was riding passenger when they went off a back country road in the dark in bad weather - no one saw it happen. Driver/partner's phone was mounted on the bike and never seen again. Cousin's cell phone was in her pocket. Cousin was able to call 911, but it took over an hour for EMTs to get there. Both had serious injuries, but the partner/driver the worse with internal bleeding and a wheezing chest wound - she would not have made it if my cousin hadn't been there and known how to treat it. They both may have died if not for the cell phone in her pocket. I'm seeing many, many bikes with the cell phones mounted on the handlebars. If you have experienced a bike wreck, you know that phone will be gone - or if in sight, you may be unable to get to it due to injuries. Personally, I navigate with a cheap handlebar mounted GPS and keep my cell phone in my pocket. Thoughts?

·
Registered
158 Posts
There are 3 things that i keep in my pockets; riding along with me, for similar reasons. My wallet is one of the other items.

sre

·
Registered
216 Posts
I’m half guilty. When riding the KLR it stays in my jacket pocket. Having it on the handlebars would be a good way to lose it damage it. When riding the Electraglide on long trips, it plugs into a USB outlet in the fairing and sits in a Ram mount on the right side. It’s a much better GPS than what came built into the bike system and I can select among my music and info sources. No, I don’t do that in traffic, just when on the open road and can futz with it safely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my car I use Siri w/google maps on my cell phone. I suppose I could pocket the phone and just do the audio with an ear bud (mine still takes wires) wouldn't have the screen distraction that way either. Would have to have a point to navigate to rather than just wander around :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
My real phone is in my jacket
Old phone on handlebars for gps speedo, music, etc.
I don't think it's a rare setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just another point of view. If you have an older phone with battery power, you are still able to turn it on and call 911 without any service on that phone. I still keep a good flip phone on me just for that if my smart phone takes a hit. I also keep a tourniquet in a jacket pocket as well as a few emergency compresses. But you also need to practice with them before the shtf. Laying in the ditch is not the time to take the wrapper off and start reading the instructions! Also if you need it, the tourniquet goes on first before you start digging for your phone!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just another point of view. If you have an older phone with battery power, you are still able to turn it on and call 911 without any service on that phone. I still keep a good flip phone on me just for that if my smart phone takes a hit. I also keep a tourniquet in a jacket pocket as well as a few emergency compresses. But you also need to practice with them before the shtf. Laying in the ditch is not the time to take the wrapper off and start reading the instructions! Also if you need it, the tourniquet goes on first before you start digging for your phone!
That's good idea on the older phone. We think alike. We bought a unit of the Croatian made trauma tourniquets to put in every vehicle and carry on our person. They are a pretty good quality. Wife and I teach wilderness first aid so have practiced doing them one-handed and was surprised that you could get one on and working (on yourself) in under 30 seconds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's good idea on the older phone. We think alike. We bought a unit of the Croatian made trauma tourniquets to put in every vehicle and carry on our person. They are a pretty good quality. Wife and I teach wilderness first aid so have practiced doing them one-handed and was surprised that you could get one on and working (on yourself) in under 30 seconds.
Exactly Mike. I carry one for work and have them in my door pocket next to a pocket CPR mask. I also have a tourniquet in my chainsaw case and put it in my pocket whenever I use a chainsaw. Most accidents with a chainsaw are messy and for the cost of a beer or two can save your life or a friends.
JP

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased a cellular Apple watch months back, just in case I left my phone somewhere, as well as checking a text without having to pull phone out while in motion. I guess that could also apply to peeps who mount their phones on the bars? The watch has saved me a few times. But yeah if you wreck out and you have a watch on, all you gotta do is yell at siri to call 911?

I would also recommend, if you're not an apple person, get a Kyocera Duraforce Pro2 or DuraXV flip. Unbelievably tough phones that will still call 911 after being run over by a truck and landing in a puddle, and they also make a great HB mounted infotainment system, they're totally waterproof and touch screen works while soaking wet, even with gloves.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I agree but one step further is to take alone a handheld walkie talkie programed to the ham repeaters in your area. Baofeng makes a UV5R radio that you can buy for around 25 bucks. Where I ride I can always contact a repeater. You have to program it and there's a learning curve but it may save your ass if you are out of cell range. You have to have a license to shoot the shit on it but in a emergency, you can ask for help without getting into trouble. You can also program in NOAA weather
BUY HERE

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have several of those. One that I carry with me. Yes, time-consuming to program, but work great. My current computer won't support the CHIRP program, which makes he programming so much simpler. Lots of OHV guys use the simplex frequencies also. I carry an extended antenna for back country.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts