Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Grabbed the camera and a thermos of coffee this morning and headed off to the other side of Hood Canal to the Olympic National Forest near Lake Cushman and Hoodsport, WA. There is a spider web of NFS Rds to the South and West of Lake Cushman. I discovered them one day last fall on my Ducati Multistrada, but Multistrada is a bit of a misnomer for that machine. Days like this is exactly why I got the 09 KLR about a month ago!!:)

First stop for some coffee and some pictures is Twanoh State Park which is on route 106 on the eastern side of Hood Canal a little bit North of Union, WA.

Route 106 continues south along Hood Canal and then turns West through the Skokomish Indian reservation until it meets up with US 101. Headed South about 3 miles then took a wrong turn on Sunnyside rd. The sign at the turn off said it was a dead end, but i just wanted to make sure. They were right, but it was a good 7-8 miles on tightly packed gravel and dirt before I came to this river crossing. (probably could have made it, it was shallow, but the other side looked like a driveway)

After my detour, I made it back to 101 and to the correct turn off for FS RD 2430. My first stop there was called simply the "High Steel Bridge". There were a couple guys on ATVs up there checking out the view as well. This must be easily 250 ft high. You can get some perspective on one of the pics below where you can make out a tire on bottom.

Next I kept going on FS 2430 until it detoured onto FS RD 200. I was trying to use the GPS to find a way to the Staircase rec area and around Lake Cushman from the southwest, but I did not prevail. These are some pics off of FS RD 200 looking East I do believe...

After running into a couple closed gates and burmed up dead ends, I turned and tried another route. This one wasn't named, and ended up dead ended at a big bonfire pit littered with .380 & 9mm casings. Looks like good fun..

So one last shot at it as time was getting low, I got on FS RD 23 which turned out to be nicely paved for about 8 miles and headed towards Bear Creek Campground in the Olympic National Forest. Again, Burmed up and closed off, but I got these pics on the way in..

On my way back out to 101 and home, I stopped one last time to finish off my thermos overlooking the Skokomish river from up high...

About 170 miles total, and I know there's a road to get me all the way around to Lake Cushman and Staircase. Next time I will find it! Man I love this bike!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Last time I rode in that area, it looked like this. That's my MTS 100 and my friend Jay on his 98 VFR... We just "Forded" a small stream on the bikes. Jay, needless to say, was not thrilled...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts