Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the carbon filter off now what about the right side "air pump". How does this all play a part in it also.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This the left side as I read and see it did that. How about the right side? I can't upload the picture I am talking about. But part of this goes to the endine head.

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts
As SkiBumBrian says, it is the Air Injection System. It is designed to pump air into the exhaust to keep the catalytic converter happy. It does no harm and may keep the cat material from disintegrating.

If you want to remove it, just pull it all off and use a cap to block off the vacuum port at the carb.

Then install the blanking plate SBB was talking about, like this:

Tom

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts
No, it does not. It is fairly passive - takes no power. It's vacuum operated. It doesn't interact with the carburetor at all. Just feeds air into the exhaust.

However, if you have an aftermarket exhaust then it's like your appendix. Take it out and lose some weight.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts
kinnisoj -

I'm going to say 'no'.

The parts fiche is still showing the Fuel Evaporative System as a California item (Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts 2014 KL650EEF KLR650 FUEL EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM (CA)).

It also shows a CN/US tank and a California tank (51001-0368-35P TANK-COMP-FUEL,C.L.GREEN [CA])

This gets somewhat confusing, as California-spec bikes often get delivered to dealers outside of California. I guess it is a supply and demand problem. If they have a surplus of California spec bikes and a need in another part of the country, they'll ship what they have on hand.

The total CA emissions package would be the Air Injection System and a catalytic converter in the muffler, and the evaporative emissions system. I believe that all US bikes have the AIS and cat.

What does your '14 have?

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im not 100% sure. I bought it in Colorado but like you were saying that dosnt mean it wont have it. Ill take a look tonite.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts