Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there been any particular "farkle" or mod that you've convinced yourself "must be done" then found later that you realized you either didn't need it or didn't like it and wished you hadn't gone to the expense, time or trouble to do it in the first place?

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
Has there been any particular "farkle" or mod that you've convinced yourself "must be done" then found later that you realized you either didn't need it or didn't like it and wished you hadn't gone to the expense, time or trouble to do it in the first place?
Yup! Lol, my new panniers... Definitely an impulse buy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Almost: I bought a second set of wheels complete with rotors then mounted studded tires. Then we had less that two weeks of ice. That was a lot of money for a little winter this year. Of course, winter isn't over yet. :)
-crazymike

·
Administrator
3,679 Posts
Yup! Lol, my new panniers... Definitely an impulse buy.
You haven't even used them yet and you're already thinking differently?? I think you'll be changing your mind come riding season.

·
Administrator
3,679 Posts
For me if I could do it again I wouldn't bother changing the signal switch to the push to cancel one that is available. I've still got it on the bike but if it fails it's back to the stocker.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kaoko throttle lock. Find my ass gets numb way before my right wrist does so for me it was a waste of money.

Madstad Adventure adjustable windshield. Better than the stock windshield, but still annoying. Took it off and left the metal mounting plate: result, nice, smooth air.

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
You haven't even used them yet and you're already thinking differently?? I think you'll be changing your mind come riding season.
Lol, I hope your right :)
I don't think I'm going to get to travel as I'd hoped so I'm not sure I'll get as much use out of them as I'd planned. Oh well, at least I have them now ;)

·
Administrator
3,679 Posts
Lol, I hope your right :)
I don't think I'm going to get to travel as I'd hoped so I'm not sure I'll get as much use out of them as I'd planned. Oh well, at least I have them now ;)
Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Buy the wife chocolate, flowers, shoes, diamonds, whatever it takes, to get a week off to go riding in BC.

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Buy the wife chocolate, flowers, shoes, diamonds, whatever it takes, to get a week off to go riding in BC.
I'm a full time single dad so I can't do that :). A week in BC sounds like an excellent idea though, I like the way you think! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
de-farkle

Kaoko throttle lock. Find my ass gets numb way before my right wrist does so for me it was a waste of money.

Madstad Adventure adjustable windshield. Better than the stock windshield, but still annoying. Took it off and left the metal mounting plate: result, nice, smooth air.
Whe you say he mounting plate do you mean the side brackets that attach to the fairing? I'm looking for smooth air and the stock, tall and no-windshields is left wanting. What is it that gives you the smooth air:th1sm112Iknowdesk:

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Braided stainless steel brake line for the REAR. Bought front and rear as a set. Front is fine, much improved. The rear is too easy to lock up with the SS. Put the stocker back on, I like the "squish" there.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whe you say he mounting plate do you mean the side brackets that attach to the fairing? I'm looking for smooth air and the stock, tall and no-windshields is left wanting. What is it that gives you the smooth air:th1sm112Iknowdesk:
It's just a piece of metal that slides into the original windshield mounting position but doesn't project above the fairings like the stock windshield did. It seems like those few extra inches of the stock windshield really cause the problem. I'd sell the Madstad windshield itself and the adjustable brackets, but I ain't selling the mounting plate.

I must admit, though, the windshield is nice to have in front of you when it's raining really hard. Other than that, at 6'4", I found the windshield nothing but annoying. The Madstad was better than the stock shield, but having removed the Madstad and ridden with just the mounting plate, I'll never go back to using the shield, rain or no rain. With the Madstad shield, I was always thinking, "Well, if I duck down a little bit, things are great, but I can't ride ducked down and I can't raise the windshield any higher than it already is."

If you want to try it without spending any money or really changing anything, I'm sure it would be easy enough to remove the windshield and make a template out of stiff cardboard, plastic, etc. that roughly follows the lines of the plate shown below and go for a test ride.

The four outer screws are the original windshield attachment screws. The four inside screws are where the adjustable windshield mounting brackets attach to the plate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts