Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding to work this morning my bike just died. No warning sputter, no loss of power, just a dead engine. As the head light and instrument lights died at the same time I think that points to the electrical system. My question: does the '08 KLR have a main fuse? As I lost all electrical it really can't be just an ignition problem. If I don't have a main fuse all I can think of would be a short in the kill switch but would that kill the lights too?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
While riding to work this morning my bike just died. No warning sputter, no loss of power, just a dead engine. As the head light and instrument lights died at the same time I think that points to the electrical system. My question: does the '08 KLR have a main fuse? As I lost all electrical it really can't be just an ignition problem. If I don't have a main fuse all I can think of would be a short in the kill switch but would that kill the lights too?

The main fuse is under the black plastic cover on the left side by the carb. There's a recall on the wiring harness for the 08's, if you blow a new fuse there's probably a short.

The recall doesn't replace the harness just re-routes a bit and adds some insulation. The most likely place for a short is where the harness passes over the voltage requlator (black finned thing right side behind the radiator). The harness gets pinched by the tank and shorts to the bracket there. That's where mine shorted (only when I applied brakes!) I wrapped some additional plastic looming and taped it up better, no problems since. I did look at the entire harness while I had the tank off and fixed some likely looking spots.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
When I kept blowing fuses on my '99, I just replaced the fuse with a steel rod of the same diameter and length. This solved the problem. As a precautionary measure, I subsequently replace all my fuses in this manner.
And with a dead short, you're going to catch your bike on fire. Then again, you use gasoline to wash your air filter.. Nothing like living on the edge.:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the fuse with the spare, started it right up and got it home. Next week I'll take a day to look for the short. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My short was behind the instrument panel. Had to remove the windshield to find it. My 09 has had that problem several times. I do believe I have it all in order now and hope to join the club that maintains the KLR is totally reliable.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
When I kept blowing fuses on my '99, I just replaced the fuse with a steel rod of the same diameter and length. This solved the problem. As a precautionary measure, I subsequently replace all my fuses in this manner.
Do we have to put up with this troll??? Everyone of his posts is pure stink bait.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I replaced the fuse with the spare, started it right up and got it home. Next week I'll take a day to look for the short. Thanks again for the help.

Here's a revised schematic for the '08s and beyond. It is easier to read than the factory schematic. It may help you find what is blowing the fuse. The brown wire is the main power wire. Look at it closely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Found my main fuse blown. Had to remove the tank and repair. The dealer had done the Kawasaki fix but it still was not good enough. I've got 13k miles on my 08 and it finaly died on me. Fortunately I was home getting ready to go for a ride. It short was in the main wire harness just above the voltage regulator. It works much better to reroute the wire just on top of the voltage regulator than put it back in the original place where the gas tank can rub against it. Working fine now. Should last a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts