Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal? When I drove from the dealer it did feel at bit sluggish. 5th gear bogged a bit. Got 44mph highway use at around 75mph. Checked the tires today and both were at 20psi. I put 30 in the and the bike felt faster on the highway. 5th gear felt better at low speeds. Expecting a bit better mpg now with 30 in the tires. My question is what psi are you all running in your stock tires?

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know when I am forced to use a dealership I like to "accidentally" walk back in the service area and see the quality of people they employ. Sometimes I am satisfied and sometimes the back shop is such a disaster I pick another dealer. I used to work in the auto field back in the day and I know more than the average Joe on things that happen or "don't" happen behind closed doors. One that jumps to mind is the shop I worked at dumped all the synthetic oil into jugs to use on the employees cars and they put conventional oil into the containers and make it look like they were sealed. If the customer watched through the window they would see the guys open the silver containers of Mobil 1 and empty it right in the cars. Yup that happened for years! Then there is the wipe off the oil filter with a rag and it looks brand new. If it didn't they would shine it up with wd-40. I did auto mechanics and heating and air conditioning professionally and I am scared for life. NEVER let anyone touch your car unless you need special tools or have reached the age where you physically can't do the little stuff anymore. I have a deal on windshield wipers and cabin air filters you don't need yet if you act fast!! Special price only today..... because we ordered too many and my boss wants to blow them out!

· Premium Member
12,573 Posts
If one reads the owners handbook, one might find that Kawasaki is still recommending 21 psi in both F & R tires, for average sized riders, even though the bike has gained about 50 lbs since 1987 & the USA speed limit has raised 25 mph since then.

A fellow KLR rider, customer, friend, riding partner & I found clear back in 1987 that 32 Front & 30 Rear is a very rideable tire pressure in most all conditions, terrain types with-out airing up & down.

· Registered
87 Posts
I run extremeley overloaded, even when I dont pack anything HAHAHA. I run 31/41 but I do air down the rear off pavement as low as 25.
Dealer sent me out the door with 21 psi f&r. Told me that's what recommended. After trailering it home I gave it good look over then a brief 30 mile ride on back roads both paved and gravel. Seemed too soft. Aired up and have kept them 26-28 rear and 28-30 front since. Feels good that way for me and tires seem to wear well except for the stock 750 front. Although I got 9500 out of said front, it wore very odd. Alternating high/low knobs all of the way around. No missing knobs. Never had a tire wear like that on anything before. Slightly scalloped on a couple of street tires, but not close to that 750. Won't use them again.

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealer sent me out the door with 21 psi f&r. Told me that's what recommended. After trailering it home I gave it good look over then a brief 30 mile ride on back roads both paved and gravel. Seemed too soft. Aired up and have kept them 26-28 rear and 28-30 front since. Feels good that way for me and tires seem to wear well except for the stock 750 front. Although I got 9500 out of said front, it wore very odd. Alternating high/low knobs all of the way around. No missing knobs. Never had a tire wear like that on anything before. Slightly scalloped on a couple of street tires, but not close to that 750. Won't use them again.
Yeah I seems to remember the gen 1 KLR had cupping on the tires. Every other knob was high or low. What tire did you replace the oems with? Probably have to do a new thread for the best tire to put on after the oems burn. I’m the type of guy who likes to have a new set of tires waiting on the shelf so I can do a quick swap and balance. Some people call it OCD but I found being overly prepared has served me well. Even better living in hurricane county. Had a hurricane clip us twice last year.

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2nd time I drove this to work on the highway and first time since I filled the tires to 30ish. Actually it was much much better this morning. Hung in there at around 75 a lot easier going up hills. I guess that is the trick on low horsepower bikes. Put air in the tires if you want some extra performance. :)

· Premium Member
187 Posts
40 psi ? I'd be waiting for the kaboom, especially on hot pavement. Seems way too high. Maybe to seat the bead if needed, but not for normal use.

Ive been doing it a long time, may different brand tires too. They run cooler at higher pressures. The low pressure creates more heat and the heat wears out the tire quicker.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts