Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,412 Posts
Ive been doing it a long time, may different brand tires too. They run cooler at higher pressures. The low pressure creates more heat and the heat wears out the tire quicker.
X2. I’ve had firsthand experience with this, and had a rear tube heat-weld to the tire innards a few years back. Ran too low of a psi with too much weight on very hot summer days.
Ya I know…need to go on a diet 😂

· Premium Member
12,571 Posts
40 psi ? I'd be waiting for the kaboom, especially on hot pavement. Seems way too high. Maybe to seat the bead if needed, but not for normal use.
It is TOO LOW of air pressure that causes Too Much heat in the side-walls of tires from Too Much flexing that causes them to go 'kaboom', even in winter. ;)

· Registered
86 Posts
What does it say on the side of the tire? Whatever it lists for max pressure is a safe pressure for that tire to be operated at.
Probably not the correct thread, but something I do related to tubed tires, is lightly dust the tubes with baby powder. Aids in inserting and positioning the tube. Started doing that almost 12 years and over 100k miles ago. Never any slippage issues.

· Registered
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
346 Posts
40 psi ? I'd be waiting for the kaboom, especially on hot pavement. Seems way too high. Maybe to seat the bead if needed, but not for normal use.
I have taken tires to 80 plus psi to gets beads to seat...does make me nervous but tires can take it. I know different tire - but plenty of trucks run at 130 psi

· Registered
'08 KLR
442 Posts
Probably not the correct thread, but something I do related to tubed tires, is lightly dust the tubes with baby powder. Aids in inserting and positioning the tube. Started doing that almost 12 years and over 100k miles ago. Never any slippage issues.
I powder (with real talcum) the tube and inside of the tire liberally - a powdered, slippery, partially inflated tube is much less likely to get pinched while spooning on the tire, and I suspect it'll run cooler by not generating as much tire/tube friction during tire flex while running down the road (though most of that heat is generated internally in the tire carcass). I dont worry about it causing things to slip, as it isn't the tube against the rim that keeps the tire from slipping anyway - its the friction between the tire beads and the rim, and having sufficient inflation pressure.

· Premium Member
864 Posts
Reactions: Timlang60

· Registered
'08 KLR
442 Posts
Back in the days of tubed tires, all tire shops had a can of tire talc. Same as baby powder without the fragrance.
Read the ingredient label to make sure you're actually buying talcum powder. Because of the health risks, many powder products for personal health use now contain corn starch rather than talc.

· Premium Member
864 Posts
Back in the days of tubed tires, all tire shops had a can of tire talc. Same as baby powder without the fragrance.
Food Tin Drinkware Fluid Aluminum can

This product is pure talc, baby powder now contains a majority of cornstarch plus fragrance and/or lotion.

Even the beloved 'monkey butt' powder is cornstarch based.

Tire talc is recommend for tube and bead. No water/soap or other rim harming products required.

Best wishes

Reactions: Timlang60

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
View attachment 39452
This product is pure talc, baby powder now contains a majority of cornstarch plus fragrance and/or lotion.

Even the beloved 'monkey butt' powder is cornstarch based.

Tire talc is recommend for tube and bead. No water/soap or other rim harming products required.

Best wishes
Thanks for sharing that. I was not aware of this product. I’ll have to get some and add it to my arsenal of tools my wife is upset I bought. :) Do you have a favorite vendor you buy it from online?

· Premium Member
864 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. I was not aware of this product. I’ll have to get some and add it to my arsenal of tools my wife is upset I bought. :) Do you have a favorite vendor you buy it from online?
I just ordered it from orielly auto parts online. 7.99$usd

21 - 40 of 67 Posts