Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy Dave and I spent four nights on the road – one in Death Valley and three in Lone Pine.

No detailed report, just some photos to share.

Sunrise over Death Valley

Scotty’s Castle

Dunes on the way to Stovepipe Wells

Lone Pine Campground, wish you were here….

Dinner!

Reflections, at Horseshoe Meadow

Sunrise

Sunset

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tom
Did you two get a chance to ride up to Mt. Whitney Portal. I have camped there and took the trail up to the summit. A long walk, but great views and landscape. Also some fair fishing in the lakes and streams.:49:
TR

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trailrider -

Nope, we just went up the switch backs to Horseshoe Meadow.

We were scouting for a future trip that will include a hike back into golden trout streams.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Nice Tom! Say Hi to Dave for me. (good job with the biker toothpik... True PPMC Style)

MB4

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MB4 -

Damn, but he likes them boots. Look good, too.

He's thinking about a Beemer....

Tom

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How's he gonna ride a KLR with a 24" inseam?:)

T

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
trailrider -

Nope, we just went up the switch backs to Horseshoe Meadow.

We were scouting for a future trip that will include a hike back into golden trout streams.

Tom

Cottonwood Lakes (up on top) is where the DFG breeds Golden trout. You can't fish the first 2-3 lakes on the trail but can fish the ones further up. There are some large goldens in those lakes! If all you've ever caught are the little buggers in steams you'll be shocked, I was.

The last time I was up there (in a car) there were hang gliders hurling themselves off one of the switchbacks towards the top. They made riding a motorcycle seem down right safe!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Nice Tom! Say Hi to Dave for me. (good job with the biker toothpik... True PPMC Style)

MB4
Agreed. Bravo! "well placed," tom said sharply.

Looks like fun. Nice fish, too.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cottonwood Lakes (up on top) is where the DFG breeds Golden trout. You can't fish the first 2-3 lakes on the trail but can fish the ones further up. There are some large goldens in those lakes! If all you've ever caught are the little buggers in steams you'll be shocked, I was.

The last time I was up there (in a car) there were hang gliders hurling themselves off one of the switchbacks towards the top. They made riding a motorcycle seem down right safe!
I was last at Cottonwood Lakes 10 years ago. Might be time to go again.

We didn't see any hang gliders, but when we were back in town we talked to a a guy who seemed knowledgeable.He said that under the right conditions, the hang gliders can work the thermals and gain enough elevation to fly over to Reno.

Definitely seems to amke bike riding sound safe!

Tom

·
Registered
689 Posts
Tom,
How many hours is it from Moab to death vAlley S.P.??

Thanks ,
Mark

·
Registered
47 Posts
How many miles to Death Valley?

It is between 600 & 700 miles between Moab and Death Valley.
Hours depend on how fast and how many breaks you do or don't take.
It's a long dry ride.:35a:
Have fun!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
It is between 600 & 700 miles between Moab and Death Valley.
Hours depend on how fast and how many breaks you do or don't take.
It's a long dry ride.:35a:
Have fun!

It was 112 in Death Valley today. Just warming up should be in the mid 120s in a few weeks. It's goning to be a long, hot summer I think.

Moab to Cedar City is mostly higher elevations It's the slog across Nevada that's tough. From Cedar to Tonapah is around 280 miles and there's only about 3 turns in the road!

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Greetings from Winslow AZ. I agree with TR and Spec. Call it a two day rode; one to get to southern Utah, another to get you to DV. Friday we rode on pretty constant 115 degree temps all the way to Salome AZ fromYucca Valley, 29 Palms, Desert Center, and Blythe. Yesterday was nice; not much over 85. Off to Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, and Grand Canyon today. T

1 - 17 of 17 Posts