Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2009 shiny black KLR650. Love the machine, but I really hate the green/silver tribal looking decals and want them off. However, I do not want to damage anything. Any info or opinions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Same year, same color, same graphics here. Just take a hairdryer and warm them up and they'll peel right off starting at the edge. If you have any residual adhesive left on the paint, citrus-based Goo Gone and a rag will get it off with no problems.

You can do all this with just your fingers and fingernails: no tools required except for the hairdryer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I had read that in other posts but wanted to be sure. It would be my luck that after I began such an endeavor that someone points out that only on '09s the graphics were put on with tile adhesive from the space shuttle and that if they do come off they will take an 1/8" of plastic with them.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
No problem. Taking those off was one of the first things I did. Depends on what kind of hairdryer you have, but you can start off on "Medium." If that doesn't soften them up, crank it up to "High."

·
Registered
22 Posts
decals

WD 40 and a towel gets the glue off.
Wash with dawn ( mild) wax and you're good to go
done all of mine that way and it worked great

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
I don't know what "graphic designer" came up with those '09 decals. I'm not one to really stew much about the looks of my KLR, but I didn't like those things from the get-go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. I've asked everybody that checks out my bike their opinion and most agree that they are a little garish.

·
Banned
277 Posts
If you used an xacto knife to cut around the sticker, through the clearcoat, you could get the sticker off - but if you put too much pressure on the xacto you'll scratch the tank, and regardless will have what looks like a scratch - a textureized outline of what you peeled off.

Not a problem if you know bodywork - you could wet-sand it down after and re-clear your tank, but not an amateur backyard first-try job.

What decal is on the tank, btw?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Good Afternoon Fellow KLRers,

I have been on my KLR now for over two years and i have hesitated to remove the tank stickers because I was under the impression that they were clear coated. Could I have been led astray and yet have the opportunity to be rid of these ugly things?

I would happily employ almost any method other than a chisel. I too ask for your advice.

Snakeboy66

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure about your '07, but the advice I received for my '09 was spot on. (Read from beginning of thread) I used a hair dryer but I believe I could have done without. They peeled off very easily and left on a little adhesive on the perimeters that was easily removed with goo gone. I can, in the right light, still see where they were on the rear side panels, but those aren't painted, so I guess it's just some uv fade on the plastic. I love the "new" look! Go for it and thanks to those with the advice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure about your '07, but the advice I received for my '09 was spot on. (Read from beginning of thread) I used a hair dryer but I believe I could have done without. They peeled off very easily and left on a little adhesive on the perimeters that was easily removed with goo gone. I can, in the right light, still see where they were on the rear side panels, but those aren't painted, so I guess it's just some uv fade on the plastic. I love the "new" look! Go for it and thanks to those with the advice.
Right. The send gen is an easy fix. Due to the clear coat over the decals on the first gen bikes it is more trouble to remove them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts