Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking into panniers for my KLR and realizing what they cost, I've decided to make my own. In a nutshell the plan is 3/8" ply, hybrid channel for the lid, two coats of gel coat and finished with a line X spray. Will be relatively light and bullet proof. Haven't picked out my latches yet but here are some pics. At this point they're ready for the lineX. At this point I have only spent $13.00. my neighbor owns a lineX so I'm hoping for a better deal. If not I'll use Duplicolor bed armor to make sure I like them before spending the money.

More piks as I progress...

Sender1,
design and fabricate

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I like that! A creative solution to costly panniers! They wont rattle like the aluminum ones either. The only thing I would maybe worry about is durability in a fall, but I guess repairs would be fairly easy to carry out if that did happen. Looking forward to the finished pics!

They do look great, I can't even cut a board the right length without messing it up, so I appreciate the craftsmanship :)

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Very nice Craftsmanship Sender1. :doublethumb:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks , appreciated... I've run a fab shop for the past 12 years so it helps to have access to products not sold at local stores. As to the fall factor,. I know if I go down they're going to splinter like toothpicks buy on the upside it took me about 4 hours to build. I'm pretty stoked about them so far. Just added the hinges...

Sender1,
design and fabricate

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
That is a beautiful job Sender1!!:sign0173:
If you can swap them from one side to the other(hinge forward) It will prevent the lid from being torn off by the wind if a latch is left open. Don't ask me how I know this!!:sign0161:
JJ

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow, those look amazing! :) You should sell some. If they only cost you $13 and alternatives cost ~$400, you could beat the competition and still make a good buck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The channel I use is a hybrid channel I build flight cases with. It's accessable though case parts suppliers. I run a fab shop and build custom cases for the entertainment business.

Sender1,
design and fabricate

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And by the way thanks guys for the Kudos on the box building. I am pretty happy with the way they turned out.

Sender1,
design and fabricate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts