Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smacked a doe this morning at 0315 about 1 mile from my house. Fortunately I was on the hack and going slow as I just made a 90 degree left hand turn and was still letting the bike warm up. I saw doe #1 dart out in front of me and said to myself, where there is one, there is more. Nothing was immediatley behind her so I cheated to the middle of the road and was watching to make sure she cleared the road when #2 darted out. Not much time for evasive manuevers and I smacked her on the hind quarter hard. I stopped and turned around but she was gone and the KLR handled normally. When I stopped for gas I checked the front end and I may have twisted the forks a smidge in the triple tree or just bent the fairing a hair. Funny thing is I tweaked my bad ankle when I instinctively went to dab my foot at impact. So in Stafford there will be a motorcyclist and a doe limping today.

Q

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I've had deer cross in front of me so close I could hear their hooves clattering on the pavement, but I've never hit one. Sorry to hear you injured your ankle, but glad to hear you were travelling at a low speed and the collision wasn't worse.

Just 3 days ago, a local woman was killed when she hit a deer with her car and it came through the windshield. We usually have 2-3 fatal deer/car collisions here a year.

Glad to hear it didn't turn out all bad.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Hitting a deer or other animal while riding terrifies me! I've hit and killed 3 deer with my cages in dusk/dawn conditions. Glad to hear that you came through it relatively unscathed, although I suspect your ankle is not going to like you for a while...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yesterday I was at the same spot on the same road on my two-wheeler vice the three wheeler and I'll be damned if two doe didn't cross in front of me in the other direction. I was ready this time and was going pretty slow.

VAC

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
My pet peeve, at least here where I live, are all the people that put little reflective things close to the road; those damned fenceposts with the reflective white tops, markers on their mailbox, markers to show them where their driveway is, etc., you name it. It seems people who live next to the road are like magpies and like to hoard and display shiny things.

I'm always looking for eyes at night and even though I ride the same road every night, it seems like every trip I get a small adrenaline rush when I'm examining something shiny down the road and trying to figure out if it's a reflective object or the eyes of an animal.

As noted, those dark green metal fenceposts with the reflective white tops are the worst. If you're in a rough spot and your headlight is bouncing around, they seem like they're flickering.

I have the luxury of being able to putt along at about 45 on the way home with no cars coming up behind me, so that's what I do. Takes longer to get home but, hey, it increases my riding time!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts