Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the $149 end can on today. The install took about 5 minutes. I didn't like the tension of the included springs so I used some leftovers I had from my zx10 Brock's exhaust. I've not started her yet, letting the RTV cure, but it looks sweet:) It saved quite a bit of weight as well.

Now I need to get the KLX need in there; anybody have a good writeup for that?

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,814 Posts
can't spell to good sometimes

Jason-

Watch that RTV. Way back when I had a SuperTrapp on, it leaked a bit at the joint. RTV would not hold, the temperature was way too high. The stuff gave up quickly. Remember, the Gen2 bikes have a cat and tend to run pretty hot exhaust.

At a place like Pep Boys you can find, for about $4, a nice fat tube of exhaust sealant that is made from sodium silicate. It is a soft white past that you can smoosh into the gaps, nooks and crannies. It will air dry to a semi hard cosistency, and, with the heat of the exhaust, will harden to an almost ceramic material. Just a thought if the RTV doesn't hold.

On the KLX needle - there is quite a bit of info here in quite a number of posts. If you do a search on 'KLX needle' you'll come up with a couple hours of entertaining reading!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason-

Watch that RTV. Way back when I had a SuperTrapp on, it leaked a bit at the joint. RTV would not hold, the temperature was way too high. The stuff gave up quickly. Remember, the Gen2 bikes have a cat and tend to run pretty hot exhaust.

At a place like Pep Boys you can find, for about $4, a nice fat tube of exhaust sealant that is made from sodium silicate. It is a soft white past that you can smoosh into the gaps, nooks and crannies. It will air dry to a semi hard cosistency, and, with the heat of the exhaust, will harden to an almost ceramic material. Just a thought if the RTV doesn't hold.

On the KLX needle - there is quite a bit of info here in quite a number of posts. If you do a search on 'KLX needle' you'll come up with a couple hours of entertaining reading!
Thanks for the tip; I've never had a failure with the ultra copper but I'll keep an eye on it. I used it on my hayabusa and zx10 and it's holding up well. Where is there a cat on the KLR???

·
Administrator
8,814 Posts
The mysterious cat (its existence is documented, but as yet I haven't run into anyone that has cut up a new muffler to see it) is located at the front end of the muffler, just upstream from the inlet. It's far enough up there that I couldn't see it on mine. The manual shows the position and makes reference to it, and the muffler has a different part number.

Tom

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mysterious cat (its existence is documented, but as yet I haven't run into anyone that has cut up a new muffler to see it) is located at the front end of the muffler, just upstream from the inlet. It's far enough up there that I couldn't see it on mine. The manual shows the position and makes reference to it, and the muffler has a different part number.

Tom
Interesting. I know Kawasaki used to make them easy to spot and drill out. My 01 zx12 and 05 zx10 were that way. I suspect they got some grief from regulators because on my 08 zx10 it would have been a PITA to drill out. Regardless the KLR is catless now :character00286:

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
If it pops and backfires on deceleration you will need to remove and cap off the airpump under the right side air scoop. It is pumping air into the exhaust header to get it hot enough for the cat to work properly. When you take of the factory exhaust they have a tendency to backfire on deceleration.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it pops and backfires on deceleration you will need to remove and cap off the airpump under the right side air scoop. It is pumping air into the exhaust header to get it hot enough for the cat to work properly. When you take of the factory exhaust they have a tendency to backfire on deceleration.
I went for a quick spin and it didn't seem much different, except it's thumping now. It was raining out though and I didn't want to beat on it too hard until I fatten up the fuel mixture.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I went for a quick spin and it didn't seem much different, except it's thumping now. It was raining out though and I didn't want to beat on it too hard until I fatten up the fuel mixture.

Typically aftermarket exhausts don't do much performance wise for the KLR. Patman has a good dyno page demonstating that. If you're actually after improved performance (not just more noise) the 685 kit is a much better solution.

Loud bikes loose rights for all of us.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Typically aftermarket exhausts don't do much performance wise for the KLR. Patman has a good dyno page demonstating that. If you're actually after improved performance (not just more noise) the 685 kit is a much better solution.

Loud bikes loose rights for all of us.
I had read that write up and the increase in throttle repsonse and usable power is what motivated me to swap exhausts. I like the sound. I don't think i'm going to cause us to lose our rights...lol. You have me confused with the Harley clowns that rev their bikes downtown next to outdoor dining. :35a:

A 685/705 is on my to do list:animal0019:

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
If your going by dyno stats I don't think there are many things you can do to a KLR to bump those up much other than the 685 or 705 kits. However my butt dyno showed marked improvement with the 22 cent mod. It also liked the new exhaust. And in the end it is the butt dyno that puts the smile on my face and keeps me swinging my leg over the seat and twisting the throttle.

I don't think my bike is loud. Some might but some just have a bad opinion of anything motorcycle at all. I don't want to annoy or bother anyone but some people are just annoyed at life in general. I have been yelled at for mowing my lawn at 9am because the neighbor was trying to enjoy there coffee and the news paper. Sometimes you cant win. As for me I much prefer the uncorked thump of an after market slip on to the stock exhaust. It makes me smile.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I had read that write up and the increase in throttle repsonse and usable power is what motivated me to swap exhausts. I like the sound. I don't think i'm going to cause us to lose our rights...lol. You have me confused with the Harley clowns that rev their bikes downtown next to outdoor dining. :35a:

A 685/705 is on my to do list:animal0019:

You've made the bike significantly louder than stock and unless you repack the DG regularly it's only going to get louder.

People don't care what kind of bike is making noise, all they notice is a loud motorcycle. This thread is an example of the non-riding majorities solution. So now all bikes there have to line up at the checkpoints.

All riders are loosing rights because some are selfish and won't consider how excessive noise is impacting the sport.

So no I don't have you confused with the piratey guys you're part of the problem too. Be part of the solution put your stock muffler back on :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You've made the bike significantly louder than stock and unless you repack the DG regularly it's only going to get louder.

People don't care what kind of bike is making noise, all they notice is a loud motorcycle. This thread is an example of the non-riding majorities solution. So now all bikes there have to line up at the checkpoints.

All riders are loosing rights because some are selfish and won't consider how excessive noise is impacting the sport.

So no I don't have you confused with the piratey guys you're part of the problem too. Be part of the solution put your stock muffler back on :cool:
The solution to fascism is not capitulation.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The solution to fascism is not capitulation.

Equating roadside checks with Fascism is a ridiculously over the top. When you throw around the term you are lessening the significance of the brutality inflicted by Fascists.

What are you going to do not to capitulate? It's going to be hard to sneek around those checkpoints on a loud bike!

...and before you start in about your right to ride what and how you want... the roads belong to the government and they license you to ride on them.

·
Administrator
8,814 Posts
Hey! Did you guys notice that you've stopped talking about KLRs? :)

Stay friendly, OK?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey! Did you guys notice that you've stopped talking about KLRs? :)

Stay friendly, OK?

Thanks,

Tom
No problem:15:. I posted up for the benefit of other klr folks, not be lectured by the forum chivato (aka spec). If anybody has any questions just pm me...unsubscribed. :character00271:

·
Administrator
8,814 Posts
No problem:15:. I posted up for the benefit of other klr folks, not be lectured by the forum chivato (aka spec). If anybody has any questions just pm me...unsubscribed. :character00271:
Easy. Calling people names as a parting shot ain't really nice. Especially Spec, who has a fair amount of cred here.

We all have buttons that get pushed; Spec doesn't like loud bikes and oil-burning Gen2s. :)

Most people can figure out the sort of stuff I don't like.

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your going by dyno stats I don't think there are many things you can do to a KLR to bump those up much other than the 685 or 705 kits. However my butt dyno showed marked improvement with the 22 cent mod. It also liked the new exhaust. And in the end it is the butt dyno that puts the smile on my face and keeps me swinging my leg over the seat and twisting the throttle.

I don't think my bike is loud. Some might but some just have a bad opinion of anything motorcycle at all. I don't want to annoy or bother anyone but some people are just annoyed at life in general. I have been yelled at for mowing my lawn at 9am because the neighbor was trying to enjoy there coffee and the news paper. Sometimes you cant win. As for me I much prefer the uncorked thump of an after market slip on to the stock exhaust. It makes me smile.
I second that, I went with a jet kit, K&N air filter, and Vance & Hines slip on. Also went from the 15 tooth front sprocket to a 16. Not only is it loud but it will haul A**

1 - 18 of 18 Posts