Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and would only rate it a 3.5 on a 10 scale for difficulty. Having read the proceedure through many times helped. Having the rotor holder and puller is almost a necessity. Thank You Paper and DoubleA for the tools.
When I sold the bike, an '86 600, there was quite a bit of clatter coming from the lower left side, so I knew (or thought) it was time. I agreed to help the new owner out with the repair. Someone had already had it apart, because it looked like they used a 3-jaw puller to remove the rotor. The doohickey was NOT broken, and the spring had tension left in it, the adjustment bolt just hadn't been loosened/adjusted in a while??? HMMM can anybody say maintenance? On the '86, there is a snap-ring that holds the doo on the shaft. Didn't expect that. Setting the clearance on the starter ring gear was probably the most technical proceedure. Torque ended up being 115 #'s. Everything went back together nicely, and the bike was much quieter when re-started. Total time spent working on it was probably an hour or less. I'm no longer dreading tearing apart the '08 for the doo upgrade on it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Glad to hear things went well and fast.:character0093: All the doo's I've helped with usually take longer, I think it's the beer that is consumed that slows things down. :10: Good luck with the 08.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
JUST got done dooing the '08. It took a little longer because of the torsion spring upgrade. The factory doo was a VERY loose fit on the shaft, but the spring did have some tension left. The motor is very quiet and sounds like a sewing machine now. I guess that's good...

I'll be hungry for ribs about next Wednesday, the 27th.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok guys, what's a doo? noob here and i am trying to learn so i can wrench when i buy one of these. in the market in LA, anyone selling? sold the cage so on hoof until i find one

·
Registered
19 Posts
Broken Balance Tensioner -Top end problems?

The balance tensioner on my bike broke with 4,400 miles. I changed it. When we started it up, it sounded like the top end was slapping. We were meticulous about it. It doesn't seem like the sprockets could have skipped. Any ideas out there about what might be the problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts