Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lowered the bike and all was wonderful with the world till I put the boxes on this weekend for a trip. Bike is total mush and my chopped kickstand could be chopped even more.

Is there a relatively cheap firmer shock or spring I should be using? Without the luggage it's not that bad. Put any weight on it and it's super soft even with the shock dialed up heavy.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
That's normal; the longer lowering links increase leverage on the stock shock effectively reducing both springrate and damping - which is a step in the wrong direction for most KLR Owners.

If you must keep the lowering links, you can swap to heavier springs (top gun or tusk are usually referenced) but beware that the springs will not affect the weak damping so your suspension will be unbalanced (oversprung and underdamped). The proper fix is a custom Cogent Moab set up for use with lowering links but while they are good value (and 10x the shock the stock, crappy emulsion unit is), it isn't exactly cheap.

If you don't NEED the lowering links, swap the stock links back in.......raising links have the opposite effect.

Cheers,
Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts