Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently cleaned the air filter and replaced radiator fluid on my 09 KLR. I also removed the fuel tank to do some cleaning and inspection. After sitting unused for 2 weeks, the bike won't throttle up past 2000 rpm, but idles fine with and without choke. I have completely removed and cleaned the carb twice, only to run into the same issue.
Mods:
Inline fuel filter. Direct flow petcock without vacuum.

Trouble shooting:
Cleaned and inspected carb. Checked all lines, gaskets, diaphragms, etc. Checked exhaust for clogging or loose fittings. Tried with gas tank cap off.

Most recently, I removed my air filter and covered the air intake. The bike began to run great with throttle before it died. So it is running lean.
I am at high elevation, but it never had a jetting issue before.

At a loss for what to do from here. Suggestions?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
When did the bike last run correctly? Last year or just last week?

Did you remember to Thoroughly Re-Oil your air filter after cleaning?

Did you cap the vacuum port which used to go to the fuel tap?

Lastly, there are 3 little holes just under the bottom edge of the throttle plate. They also get their fuel supply from the pilot jet which does feed the external adjustable pilot mixture screw. With pilot jet removed, I use a single strand of wire bent 90 degrees to poke down thru them. Then back-flush them with aerosol carb cleaner and compressed air. Then install and close the mixture screw and spray aerosol carb cleaner Up thru the pilot jet pocket to confirm full spray pattern up thru all 3 holes. Then open the mixture screw 2 turns.

Those 3 holes feed the off-idle to 3/16th open throttle position, primarily.

Also, read the link in this link.
http://www.klrforum.com/how-tos-tech-guides/45258-care-feeding-cvk40.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was sitting unused for 2 weeks. The old petcock vacuum line is plugged, and the filter was oiled.
I will pull the carb again to look flush those 3 holes.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Check the float height is to spec also, and for any debris in the needle seat or behind the seat. Proper float height and unobstructed fuel flow is important to provide the right mixture thru rpm.

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
Yep, still gummed up somewhere; I'd start with the pilot jet

Dave
Dave, an engine can't idle anywhere near correctly with a plugged or severely restricted pilot jet.

But if the pilot jet was recently cleaned and the 1st of 3 holes at the edge of throttle plate flows some fuel, it will Idle. But it won't pick-up from that rpm with-out falling on it's face. Unless one pulls the 'choke' lever.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
Dave, an engine can't idle anywhere near correctly with a plugged or severely restricted pilot jet.

But if the pilot jet was recently cleaned and the 1st of 3 holes at the edge of throttle plate flows some fuel, it will Idle. But it won't pick-up from that rpm with-out falling on it's face. Unless one pulls the 'choke' lever.
Paul,

I was under the impression that it idled fine and died on throttle.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
Dave, we are both reading that correctly. Dies when trying to give it throttle suggests to me that the 2nd & 3rd holes under the edge of the throttle plate are restricted or plugged.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Dave, we are both reading that correctly. Dies when trying to give it throttle suggests to me that the 2nd & 3rd holes under the edge of the throttle plate are restricted or plugged.
It must be restricted someplace. I guess it depends on the interpretation of "won't throttle up past 2000 rpm".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts