Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious... How many of you would be interested in an Altius Scimitar engine and fuel system swap if the cost was around $2500? All work performed in the US and we would import the parts from India.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Altius licensed HDT's designs, so it would be close. I think Altius delayed the Scimitar this year so I can't guarantee anything.

If put this fully into production, I am curious of the interest. Importing 1 or 100 would require the same loopholes to make it happen. If there is enough interest it would make a nice business oportunity for the KLR community

MPG is estimated to be about 80-100 at 55mph, depending on driving style.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Dunno... $2500 would buy you a lot of gas. Plus, you can find parts a lot easier for the stock (mostly) KLR's. I think I would be interested in getting a diesel KLR if it was a factory offering, but I don't really have any interest in modding mine to be diesel. Not knocking those of you who are interested in this, just wouldn't be worth the time/money/trouble to me. Just my two cents :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All may be in vain. I heard from a reliable source that HDT is bankrupt. This may be what stalled the introduction of the Scimitar.

Thanks for the input, however.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Diesel model

FWIW:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm curious... How many of you would be interested in an Altius Scimitar engine and fuel system swap if the cost was around $2500? All work performed in the US and we would import the parts from India.
If the entire bike is ~$3900 US, why not try to import the bike.... I am interested in diesel motor but the price of conversion would be out of my budget range....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Importing it outright means you have to meet DoT safety standards and EPA emission targets, plus pay a different set of customs and duties for a full vehicle, which will cost more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts