Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Difficult Fairing bolt alignment, or: Am I a Moron?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  DenimDan 
#1 ·
Ok, yes, yes I am a moron, but that’s not the point. Are the lower front fairing bolts a Royal PIA to get lined up, or am I stupid, or is my bike just weird? I already stripped one, pretty sure another is about to strip. I’ll get in there with a tap and see if I can fix it later, but I want to ride and it’s a KLR, so I just zip tied it for the moment. Maybe I’ll just leave it like that, all my previous KLRs had zip ties somewhere on the bodywork.

Reactions: PeteK
#4 ·
If I recall, I needed to screw in the very bottom just a bit first, align the other big bolt, screw in lightly. start putting the upper little bolts that go into Well Nuts lightly. Then tighten all but not too tight. Yeah the two big lower bolts need a little gentle persuasion to align. If I feel them too tight, I back off and try again.

#7 ·
No. You are not a moron. I have a Gen. 2 and I've had issues with those panels as well. The best way I've found to eventually get them back on is as a4twenty had mentioned above. First off, take a deep breath and relax, you're not in a pit race. I've found that when I'm in a big hurry to get something done like this it ALWAYS takes me twice as long to get it done.

Relax, go slow, and when you can snatch the small stones from my hand it will be time for you to leave Grasshopper. 🦗

#10 ·
It's not just you - As Paul had mentioned, a couple of good hits can knock the brackets out of alignment which makes fairing removal/install a pain - and it's worse working around (behind) the engine guards. Oh well... I do what OCL recommends and get the bolts "just threaded on a wee bit" and then button it all down tightly once everything is in place.

My fairings are so cracked, epoxy-fied, and duct-taped that scratches wouldn't be noticed - I think it's got character, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.