Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 KLR 650. I am wanting to hard wire a GPS to my cycle and have been searching for the 2 unused wires for the "city lights." Where are they located? Do I need to pull the fairing in order to locate them? Are they buried in the wiring loom somewhere or are they exposed and easy to locate?

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
Single brown wire behind the headlight. Should be able to see it but removing the fairing will simplify it.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
City light leads: This wiring diagram shows BROWN/WHITE and BLACK/YELLOW: http://cdn.wellnessarticles.net/2016/11/09/klr-650-wiring-diagram-l-c45be7d62dde0fb0.jpg

Don't remember the insuslation colors, but IIRC, two wires with plastic-coated terminals comprised city light connection on my 2007; behind headlight as KLR4EVR says above.

Otherwise, for a GPS connection: Depending upon preference; BROWN wire for + 12 VDC, switchable; and . . . WHITE wire for constant + 12 VDC; BLACK/YELLOW for ground, or . . . frame ground.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I use my GPS a lot on long distance multi-week trips. I have its cradle wired hot all the time. This is so that I don't have to wait for the GPS to restart every time I restart the engine or want to check something on it after turning off the engine.

I can turn it off manually if I want to leave it off for a while or I can remove it from the cradle and put it in the tank bag or my pocket.

I checked the amp draw and found that my USB charger connected to my Garman E-Trex Hcx pulls 0.022 amps from the battery. So, if I left it on for 24 hours, it would pull 0.5 amp hours from the 15 amp hour battery.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I use my GPS a lot on long distance multi-week trips. I have its cradle wired hot all the time. This is so that I don't have to wait for the GPS to restart every time I restart the engine or want to check something on it after turning off the engine.
I used a circuit board that worked something like this (link below) on my Goldwing. The one I used kept the GPS hot for up to an hour. Reset the timer every key "on/off" cycle. This one is three minutes and isn't long enough but somebody sells one that you can program for longer periods.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Time-Delay-Relays/p_804415.h_804416.r_IF1003?mkwid=sp8K1eNNo&crid=38094426869&mp_kw=&mp_mt=&gclid=CjwKEAiA8dDEBRDf19yI97eO0UsSJAAY_yCSZAGjMs3rFeRPDB14XDP-JIoSmp-j44VmIeCS4xpUaBoCGafw_wcB

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been approx 9 years since I used the city light wires for my heated grips. (still working just fine thank you...) If my memory is correct, I recall removing the windshield and upper fairing bolts so I could look for the wires and they soon became apparent under the headlight. The wires had some QD terminals on them, but I cut them off and soldered the grip wires in cause I didn't have the matching QD terminals on hand. I did not have to remove the entire fairing, just the upper bolts. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts