Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't make up my mind about something.

I frequent several forums (about stuff I own). Rolex forum, FNFAL forum, Mercedes forum, Range Rover forum, BMW (Chromeheads) forum, and three KLR forums. Out of all these, KLR forums seem to be "much slower" (DEAD would be more accurate!) than the others. Now my dilemma,....."is this good, or bad"!?

Apparently there are very few "problems" with KLRs. Nothing to read about (or very little), no arguing, nothing to talk about. Most of the country (at least USA), is in the winter, Canada too, Australia is in the summer (KLR riders over there having better time with their bikes in the Outback, than posting about it!). Europeans are in the winter too, and have nothing to say. Boring. :kumbaya:

What do YOU think?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think for all the reasons you stated, the klr forums are slow.
There can also be a lack of comraderie is some of them, making some hesitant to post. Just my opinion and observations.

Case in point, I just changed tires but I won’t be posting what I put on because the last rear I put on, at least one asinine comment was made about it.

I mostly just read what few new posts interest me.

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
I think there is lots to talk about.

Problem is, people want to talk about what's in front of them, which is: the best oil, the best tire, the best windscreen, the doohickey, the bike won't start, the clutch is broken because it lurches, and the speedometer quit.

There is little interest in new ideas (in fact, they are attacked in some venues) or in-depth technical stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,033 Posts
I honestly feel that the lay-out of the index or menu is the biggest reason that this forum has less traffic.

Maybe the Home page could be set to automatically start Scrolling thru the Forum Index with-in 2 seconds of opening?

I think most new comers see the "Most Popular Discussions" & "Recent Discussions", and never learn to open the Forum Index.
http://www.klrforum.com/

The 'Most Popular Discussions' is totally mis-leading. Just check the last posting dates!
Maybe replace IT with the automatic scrolling Index?
I've seen literally hundreds of new members which post a Hello in introductions & a few of us try to give a warm Welcome, but they seem to just fade-away. All too quickly.

klr 6 5 0.net is a whole lot quieter/slower than it used to be, also.

I never liked the KLR section of ADV rider, one Long Jumble of every topic.

Facebook has taken a lot of traffic from this and other forums. And I hate it! I can never find a 'thread' that is more than 3-4 days old, with-out any new postings which bring them back-up in rotation, I guess.
I do not hesitate to supply links to threads or individual postings in this forum while on Facebook.
I've had my posting privileges suspended for linking to this forum while on the "dark.net", as I sometimes call it. But I'm still allowed to read over there.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
There's a ROLEX forum?

:)

"When the BIG HAND points to ______________, and the LITTLE HAND points to ___________ . . ."

Oyster Perpetual Datejust gold-and-steel, champagene dial, with Jubilee band, here . . .

:)

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
I'm also a member of several other forums; Jaguar forum, Mercedes Forum, Here and KLR650.net as well as four KLR specific facebook pages. in addition, I used to spend lots of time on Thumpertalk, IRV.2, ADV Rider (I concur with Paul on that one), Moparts and the Turbodiesel Register.

This is one of my favorite ones. .Net is the biggest/busiest of the KLR forums. The KLR facegroup groups are busier but due to the format you have to repeat yourself 4,000 times a day.....

2 cents,
Dave

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
I honestly feel that the lay-out of the index or menu is the biggest reason that this forum has less traffic.

Maybe the Home page could be set to automatically start Scrolling thru the Forum Index with-in 2 seconds of opening?

I think most new comers see the "Most Popular Discussions" & "Recent Discussions", and never learn to open the Forum Index.
http://www.klrforum.com/

The 'Most Popular Discussions' is totally mis-leading. Just check the last posting dates!
Maybe replace IT with the automatic scrolling Index?...
We'll have a go at this with the admin and see if there are some changes that can be made.

...Facebook has taken a lot of traffic from this and other forums. And I hate it! I can never find a 'thread' that is more than 3-4 days old, with-out any new postings which bring them back-up in rotation, I guess...

...The KLR facegroup groups are busier but due to the format you have to repeat yourself 4,000 times a day....
I got kicked off of two groups, one for sticking up for a couple of guys who were getting slammed, the second by getting sideways with one of the guys I stuck up for.

The other two I still belong to, but gave up on them for the reasons mentioned.

On .net I've managed to be ridiculed by/cross swords with at least three of the principal personalities.

Now I stand off in the corner making motorboat noises, picking my nose and scratching myself rudely and just write for myself. If people read it, fine. If not, fine.

·
Premium Member
7,033 Posts
If the older, wiser, more experienced riders/wrenches don't speak up on facebook & these forums, there is gonna' be nothing but scrapmetal in the landfills and salvage yards.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If the older, wiser, more experienced riders/wrenches don't speak up on facebook & these forums, there is gonna' be nothing but scrapmetal in the landfills and salvage yards.
That’s for sure!

·
Premium Member
7,033 Posts
I got kicked off of two groups, one for sticking up for a couple of guys who were getting slammed, the second by getting sideways with one of the guys I stuck up for.

The other two I still belong to, but gave up on them for the reasons mentioned.

On .net I've managed to be ridiculed by/cross swords with at least three of the principal personalities.

Now I stand off in the corner making motorboat noises, picking my nose and scratching myself rudely and just write for myself. If people read it, fine. If not, fine.
I would like to give Tom Schmitz a Huge public "Thank You"!

As I may have been one of the members that he was defending at those times. I also was 'dis-missed' from one of those facebook groups.

Many people apparently still don't or can't or won't try to understand the oil flow modifications for the KLR650 engine which Norm, Tom and others helped me to develop. (Kawasaki did them 1st. Only on other engines!)

The 'Engine Oil Analysis Thread' was started to prove that my mods were 'doing no harm'. Not to prove that Kawasaki engine oil was better than others. But it has shown to be a very good oil.

How do the owners and administrators of this forum feel about Links to other stuff & places?
Here is a very valuable link which I reference often. (Much of it was Pioneered on these very pages.)

STUFF THAT I THINK ABOUT

Thank You Again, Tom.

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
Thanks, Paul, but really no need to thank me. I just like to tinker with stuff. Your stuff is good stuff.

By the by, I pulled another oil sample this afternoon and hope to get it off to the lab tomorrow. If it comes back good I'll put the crank orifice back in.

On the FaceBook thing, I agree but don't have the patience for it. It gotten to the point where it seems like people are getting the information one person at a time and there are new people every day with the same issues. Thus the extremely repetitive nature of FB. It just seems like a bad platform for this sort of thing because everything rolls off the page very quickly and is hard to retrieve information even if you know there was a thread on the topic. The search function is awful. Heck, if Dave N stuck Dave P's 'Things Newbies Need To Know' post at the top of his group, that would sure help.

Add to that the amount of mis-information that gets posted and people not reading the threads and you quickly get bad information spreading at the speed of light and 50 posts that say "Drane ur carb the srew at bottom" 12 hours after the OP says "I drained the carb and that fixed it! Thanks guys!".

I'll keep standing in the corner making motorboat sounds.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some interesting points. You guys mentioned FB,......I loathe "social media", and I don't know why. When FB first started, I thought the name was stupid. Ex-wife convinced me to sign up, I logged in, looked around, and logged out. That was,.......let me see,...about 10-11 years ago. Never logged in again. And then another "social" site came, with even more stupid name ......."Twitter"! WTF is "Twitter", ......."tweet, tweet"....what!? Anyway, no social media for me. I like to learn. And I use Internet for that. Once I learn just about everything about ........whatever, I move on. You can find me on many forums with the same screen name, but I don't post much any more (if ever), because I learned all I cared to know about the focus of the particular forum.

I joined this one, once I got this KLR as a present. I knew of the bike's existence (I read some good stories about people traveling around the world on them, in motorcycle magazines, years ago), but I didn't know much about the bike. No details. I've never even threw my leg over it (still didn't!!).

After my K1200RS perished in the fire, wife convinced me to get "something slower",.....well, I grew up on 007 movies, and R1200C was the ugliest bike I've ever seen (back in 1997, in Munich BMW museum,....I lived in Munich at the time). I never thought one day I'll buy one (20 years later). When I bought it, I joined "Chromeheads", learned all I wanted, and I still read interesting stuff, but I don't post much.

This seems to be a nice group of people (on this forum), and I am learning a lot. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge so freely.

This A17 (2003) fits right in with my personality. I dislike MOST modern stuff, and prefer "vintage/antique" pretty much everything. I like the way Gen1 KLR looks, I've learned some model specific "bugs/issues", and I'm no stranger to the wrench. We'll see where this "relationship" (between me and KLR) will go. This is only my second Kawasaki (I happily owned ZX11 for many years). Also, I've never had just one bike (sometimes 3-4 at the time), and now my time will be split between R12C, and KLR.

Keep posting guys, I like to read.

·
Premium Member
7,033 Posts
Wow!

That just was the 1st time that I've ever used the "Next Thread" button below the "Post Reply" or "Submit" buttons! LOL

12:40 PM, page 123 Done! Yeah, I read slow & was interrupted.
Now I need to install a pair of tires on a Versys 650.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I think every one has some good points.

But as a forum develops with more and more info, the need to post or inquire gets less as the question has already been asked, or the testing has been done, etc.

When I had my Victory Vision the small forum that I belonged to (incidentally much hated by the big forum) had become like family. We crossed borders to meet other members, (Canada/ USA). Locally we would meet every Thursday evening at some dining establishment that was somewhat central to all, (1~2 hr ride).

As our friendships grew, so did the site, so did the participation and so did the good natured online taunts. We all got to meet the site owner, who would frequently visit members at local events. (Still keep in touch even though we both moved on, I sold the VV and he sold the site).

I also belong to many other forums, Rolex, Mercs, HD, Honda, etc, but I don't get that hometown feeling that I had at the Victory site, but I do here.

I'm a new member here, but I like here. The white background with clean black fonts are easy on my eyes. Theres lots of info for me to research and experience members are quick to respond and help.

I waited until now, but I just paid up for a Lifetime membership. Well worth it. Keep up the good work
and thanks
brian

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
p.s. and my kids told me years ago FaceBook is for old people. I closed my account immediately after that

1 - 20 of 22 Posts