·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically three front tires.
Dunlop D606 Front tire.
Mefo Explorer MFE99 Front tire.
Kenda Big Block K784F tire.

How many of you are riding on either of these?

Do they feel secure/planted at 60+ mph on gravel roads?
Or are they 'squirrely' above XX mph?

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I had Mefo explorers on the front and rear of my '11. The front was fine on gravel but sucked on deep sand or any mud. The rear I liked untill it cracked badly around the lugs. The warrantee replacement did the same so that was the end of them for me. I have to have 100% confidence in the casing of a tire before I start considering the grip or longevity.
JJ

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
pd,
Front 35, rear 40 psi on pavement.The website recommended that high of pressure for the rear of a KLR specifically. It was a bit of a red flag to me.
I would drop pressure to 20f and as low as 15r on sand or mud.
JJ

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JJ,
Were they squirrely going Off the end of pavement and on to loose gravel at highway speed, with highway air pressures?

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
No not excessively paul. They were just more stable and less choppy with the lower pressure on gravel. At high pressure the front tended to follow car tire tracks in loose gravel. It was like it didn't want to climb out of the track even if it was only an inch deep.
JJ

·
Registered
59 Posts
I run the d606 tires all the time. On gravel, I run the front and rear at 18 psi. The sidewalls on the dunlops are stiff, so the 18 psi is ok. On the highway, I run 28 front to help reduce cupping. 26 rear. Or, I'm usually lazy and run the 18 on the hwy too. No problems with it on the last 6 sets of them doing any of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I run the d606 tires all the time. On gravel, I run the front and rear at 18 psi. The sidewalls on the dunlops are stiff, so the 18 psi is ok. On the highway, I run 28 front to help reduce cupping. 26 rear. Or, I'm usually lazy and run the 18 on the hwy too. No problems with it on the last 6 sets of them doing any of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JasonK94Z,
Are you comfortable enough with them to ride 60, 70, 80 or even 90 mph on some of your gravel roads.

justjeff, I hope to answer that question soon, just not quite yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
JasonK94Z,
Are you comfortable enough with them to ride 60, 70, 80 or even 90 mph on some of your gravel roads.

justjeff, I hope to answer that question soon, just not quite yet.
60, no problem. 70, 80, or 90? Sorry, I don't travel that fast on gravel.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
60, no problem. 70, 80, or 90? Sorry, I don't travel that fast on gravel.
JasonK94Z,
60 mph is fast enough to tell Good from Bad handling manners on gravel, thanks.
Yours must be Good.
Is your Front Dunlop D606 mounted as per the factory Directional Arrow?

·
Registered
59 Posts
JasonK94Z,
60 mph is fast enough to tell Good from Bad handling manners on gravel, thanks.
Yours must be Good.
Is your Front Dunlop D606 mounted as per the factory Directional Arrow?
My front is mounted in the direction as indicated on the sidewall. The Dunlop D606 is about the best I have run on my bike for offroad and even on the road. I've taken my bike through the twisties in the Ozarks and a damn good pace! The grip very well on the road.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why are you asking about those three particular tires pd?
JJ
Ok, time to review/update this thread a bit.

Earlier this year I did some work on a customers Gen 1. Including a leaky fork seal. I had noticed that his front Dunlop D606 was mounted as per factory direction arrow. I had asked him how stable it was or wasn't on loose gravel roads, at speed. He said that 50 mph was scary, unless he aired down to 18-20 psi.

So I pointed out that the knobs are layed out in a 'v' pattern. With the 'v' rolling in normal tractor tread direction, the Open Top of the 'V' acts like a funnel or a trough on a Front tire that is only being "pushed"/driven.
It scoops the 'marbles' into the center line of the tire and the whole bike gets 'squirrely'.

A 'V' pattern tire which is Driving/Pulling like a 4 wd tractor or pick-up or ATV tire would, uses the normal direction of the 'v' pattern to keep from plugging up with sticky mud.

But on a Front motorcycle tire with a 'v' pattern we need to reverse the 'v'. When the tops of the 'v' touch down first and the point of the 'v' touches down last, it brushes the marbles / sand / rain out to the sides. If one looks at the D606 and other tires from a 'Worms Eye' view, it makes more sense.

He agreed to allow me to 'reverse' his Dunlop D606 front tire.
Long story shortened, this customer reports that he can now keep up with his riding partners on gravel roads.

·
Registered
241 Posts
But on a Front motorcycle tire with a 'v' pattern we need to reverse the 'v'. When the tops of the 'v' touch down first and the point of the 'v' touches down last, it brushes the marbles / sand / rain out to the sides. If one looks at the D606 and other tires from a 'Worms Eye' view, it makes more sense.
THANK YOU!!!
I mounted a set of Kenda 761's on my 2011, I thought it was odd the V pattern ran the same on front as the rear, I may now reverse that and give it a try...:64a:

Gordon

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gordon,
Please let us all know how your experiment works out.

The first front tire I remember having the backward or upside down 'v' pattern was the Metzeler Laser street bike tire. About 1982-1984.
Worked very well on my '84 900 Ninja. Was advertised to be very resistant to cupping and excellent wet traction and it was.

Todays Metzeler Lazertec still has similar advertisement.
The Metzeler Marathon series is one I recommend for heavy cruisers/touring.
The Metzeler Tourance is used by a lot of Adventure riders.

The Avon Gripsters work excellent on KLRs.

All of these front tires are Directionally Arrowed to use the backward '^' or upside down 'v' pattern.

·
Registered
241 Posts
On my past bikes (Harleys), The Continentals and Dunlap's I ran all had Reverse V on front. I will probably change late this week... I will update....

I must have check direction a dozen times then said "they must know more than me".. lol

·
Registered
241 Posts
I also am wondering if there is a structural component to the direction.. I am going to have to check this out further before I change..

EDIT: Fired off an e-mail to Kenda....

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
I also am wondering if there is a structural component to the direction.. I am going to have to check this out further before I change..
Gordon,

What I noticed with the K761 (my favorite tire), when I first mounted one at the front, was that it wouldn't turn in, cupped badly, wandered all over the road in rain grooves, tenaciously followed any ridge in the road, etc.

Turning it around cured all of that and I have mounted them backwards ever since.

I cannot say anything knowledgeable about the carcass, but I would be surprised if the carcass is directional. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it shares the same carcass as the K270. That tire has no directional arrows, of course.

Paul sees more tires (bikes/engines/everything) in a week than I'll see in my life and I generally accept what he says as being rather biblical in nature.

To my knowledge he's never been wrong except one time when he thought he was and admitted so, but it turned out he wasn't so he was wrong when he said he was wrong, but.. aw, carp, you know what I'm saying...

By the way, he also suggests putting 2psi more in the front than the back, and I've found that doing so helps quite a bit.

edit: I also sent an e-mail to Kenda and got the marketing answer "Observe the arrow". A subsequent e-mail, asking it to be answered by an engineer and asking "Why?", was not answered.

Tom

·
Registered
241 Posts
wandered all over the road in rain grooves, tenaciously followed any ridge in the road, etc.
I am having the same problem and it all started when I mounted the tires....
Then I found this to confirm PDWESTMAN and I are right.
I WILL flip it.. still want to see what Kenda say's...

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Reactions: gruet782
1 - 20 of 47 Posts