Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the Doo done on my 09 with only 3500 miles and the spring was just hanging off the lever. It wasn't connected to the post at all. It wasn't broken, just not connected. Whew! Kinda weird that such a new bike would have a problem like this.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Sadly, does not surprise me. Now you should be good to go! :character00268:

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Mine was loose but connected at 1244 miles.

Very happy with the Eagle Mike unit thus far at 5k.....

Still I don't even trust the whole concept. Gear-Driven
would be nice from the factory engine.

CheapMark

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just replaced the spring on my Eagle Mike Doo with the torsion spring, hopefully I don't have to worry about this problem any more........
Time will tell. My bike is a 1998 model with 40,000 miles on it.

Running strong and seems to be more quiet with the torsion spring. I also did the sub frame bolt kit, installed a EM fork brace and changed the oil using Rotella. These were my christmas presents to the KLR.

Ready for the season to start. I did manage a 100 mile ride last Friday - it was a balmy 50 degree's here.

:35a:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been reading this forum for several months now (I bought an '07 KLR with 1000 miles on it in October) and from reading all the posts about the doohickey, I figured I'd have to take care of it sooner or later.

The strange things is, I've asked 2 or 3 local shops about the importance of it and they don't seem to see it. One of them even made a comment about all the folks on the internet forums making a big deal out of it when it's not. I still plan on doing it just for peace of mind, regardless of how critical it is.... so ... thanks for the constant reminders!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I've been reading this forum for several months now (I bought an '07 KLR with 1000 miles on it in October) and from reading all the posts about the doohickey, I figured I'd have to take care of it sooner or later.

The strange things is, I've asked 2 or 3 local shops about the importance of it and they don't seem to see it. One of them even made a comment about all the folks on the internet forums making a big deal out of it when it's not. I still plan on doing it just for peace of mind, regardless of how critical it is.... so ... thanks for the constant reminders!

Yea it was largely unknown before the internet. Probably even now the majority of KLRs are running the stock doo that has never been adjusted. The owners manual doesn't mention it.

I remember reading that Eagle Mike estimated that there's a 20% failure rate of the stock system.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A friend bought an 09 with 3400 miles on it about 2 days before I got mine and his had a broken spring in there. Thats 2 09's with similiar mileage and doohickey spring issues that I know of. I guess the doohickey itself was upgraded on the 08+ models but they used the same weak spring.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you look at a few pictures of the after-math of the chain letting go or running slack. I'd consider the upgrade EM Doo and spring - money well spent.

I don't want that in the back of my mind - ever time and every where that I ride.

just my 2cents worth.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the doo

I have a 09 650 that i just bought in october should I do the doo or put some miles on it first.Forgot to mention that it was a leftover so it has no miles on it to speak of,only 29 so far waiting for spring to ride.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd put it on the priority list. I've seen two 09's with less than 3500 miles on them and they both had broken doohickey springs.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have an '09 and did it at about 700 miles. The spring had no tension in it at all leaving the doo to just wiggle around. The bike got a whole lot more quiet after too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A friend bought an 09 with 3400 miles on it about 2 days before I got mine and his had a broken spring in there. Thats 2 09's with similiar mileage and doohickey spring issues that I know of. I guess the doohickey itself was upgraded on the 08+ models but they used the same weak spring.
The '08+ does have an improved Doohickey. Unfortunately, Kawasaki used too long of a spring so it's not what it should be AND the new one still isn't as good as the EM one. Since EM provides the best spring and you have to get in there anyway to replace that part, you might as well do the whole EM Doo and Torsion spring in one go. Mike is a great supporter of the KLR community and while there are other Doo's out there, none is like his and it's the only one to use.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used the EM doohickey upgrade kit, it's the best one out there.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
While I have an aftermarket doohickey and torsion spring insalled in my '07, some perspective may be worthwhile.

A broken spring bouncing around in the engine innards poses a hazard, but . . . the intact spring only applies initial torque to the counterbalancer chain drive tension adjustment mechanism; actual operating chain tension is held by the bolt holding down the doohickey quadrant.

So, slack spring, slack chain. Slack chain, probable increased vibration. Escalating to catastrophic engine failure? Possibly, but not likely without some pre-indication (speaking to slack spring alone) I would think.

"07 and earlier had more fragile doohickeys than found in OEM '08's and later; aftermarket doohickeys are stronger still and more elegantly manufactured. A broken doohickey itself (as opposed to only a slack spring) poses an exponentially-elevated hazard, compared to only a weak spring. (With a broken doohickey, NOTHING contains counterbalancer drive chain tension, threatening the integrity of the entire counterbalancer drive system and consequently, the engine itself from collateral damage.)

My impressions only; corrections and clarifications welcomed!

Any reports of a failed '08 or later OEM doohickey, or catastrophic damage resulting from a weak OEM doohickey spring on a late-model bike?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yea it was largely unknown before the internet. Probably even now the majority of KLRs are running the stock doo that has never been adjusted. The owners manual doesn't mention it.

I remember reading that Eagle Mike estimated that there's a 20% failure rate of the stock system.
I suspect the reason the dealers don't know a lot about it is largely due to the demographic of who buys a KLR, guys {and women} who are independent and tend to do their own maintenance. While this is an easy fix, we, in the end would have been better served had we complained and documented the failures with the dealers. That way KHI would have had cause and reason to issue a recall like they should have in the first place. We were our own worst enemy on that one. The next gen KLR suffered some issues that were brought to the attention of the dealers and those were taken care of by recalls.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts