Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 KLR600
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What DIY mods/gear/repairs have you done?

It’s always cool to see grand shiny new upgrades and gear, But you got admit there’s a certain charm to the milk crate approach too!

·
Registered
1985 KLR600
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I started it, so here’s my contribution:
Between being a cheapskate and not being able to find a rack for my ‘85 600, I raided the local army surplus for some cargo options. Got an ammo box for the tool kit and schtuff, and 2 French army vinyl bags clipped together as panniers. $50 for all. The exhaust may get a bit hot, but there’s the plastic side cover as a buffer, or they fit on the tank swell too.

waiting to replace doohickey before I really get a chance to try it all out

·
Registered
08 KLR stock stock stock with doo-hickey.
38 Posts
I like it. Yours are nicer than mine.

My bags are thrift-store carry-on soft-side luggage, clipped/bolted to sturdy 1" sq tubing steel bars across the flanks.

I, too, am uncomfortable with the hard-aluminum cans that will be irreparably dented and bent when (not if) I tip and slide on them. Also, when my leg gets pinned and hamburgered under a hard case, thats going to hurt a lot more than a soft bag that has a little "give". I hope.

Great work on your tank panniers, On top of those packs, across the tank is a relatively level spot to which some stuff could be lashed.... I travel with a small pelican case of camera, tablet, gadgets, and valuables that I like to have right in front of me where I can monitor its presence, rather than on a rear-rack where it could un-bungee itself and disappear. I'm thinking a couple of those square-top canvas army surplus day packs like yours across my tank, a layer of 1" closed cell foam across the top of the packs across the tank and maybe a bit on the fairing, then my pelican case lashed on top of that.

With rear panniers, rear case, tank panniers, and a pelican case, that pretty much provides enough room for that cast-iron kitchen sink I may need to take from Round Hill to south America....

·
Registered
1985 KLR600
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! How did you mount the luggage on the back? Is it just tied and saddlebagged, did you screw it into the support bar?

·
Registered
08 KLR stock stock stock with doo-hickey.
38 Posts
Both bars are constructed similar, theres a 5" wide piece of aluminum plate bent into a tight fitting hook, that is bolted to the back of the bag. Theres an aluminum plate inside the bag, and the hook plate outside, bolted through sandwiching the frame of the bag and stiff plastic back panel of the bag. The hook-plate "hooks" over the bar. The little "y" bar off the main bar has a nut in the end, and a bolt from inside the bag bolts through the back of the bag through the hook plate and into that support bar. Very solid and not coming off, unless I take that one bolt - with a wing-head - out. Once the bolt is out, it just unhooks and lifts off. I'm sure that if I wipe out and slide bad, the bag will be ripped in half, and the back of the bag will remain mounted, and the rest of the bag and contents will be spread all over. Downside is I have to unload about half the bag and lay all my gonch and tee-shirts and stuff on the ground to get to the bolt holding the bag on. I tried various methods of attaching, but I wanted it solid and secure and quick to remove. Most solid-mount pannier setups take several bolts to remove. And don't have wheels on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts