Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Administrator
4,625 Posts
Where did the other key come from. Pictures appear to show opposite side of key so hard to compare.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,413 Posts
That’s very assuring…knowing that a “blank” key from 3Dcycleparts will successfully start a gen 3 KLR (n)

Another bullseye from Kawasaki right there.

• Haha
Reactions: captanzuelo

· Administrator
4,625 Posts
That's awful!! looks like they used a hand held Dremel tool to cut that.

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
299 Posts
That is the worst craftsmanship. Juat another company not caring about thier products. Surprising as so many other members here rave about them. I would not be sending my key there if it turns out like this.

· Registered
46 Posts
Blank key doesn't work in ignition, I tried a Kawasaki one I have. I compared my original Kawasaki key to yours in the second picture. Identical except for the recess cut in yours at bottom of key is directly under the middle ridge above it (excuse my key nomenclature), and mine is directly under the ridge to the left. Very little difference. My 3D Cycle key though cut different like yours works. That's what matters to me.

· Premium Member
12,573 Posts
I am short on words. Both of these keys start my bike and open my bags. One is OEM from the dealer and the other is not from the dealer. Are these bike actually individually keyed?
I would hope so!

Take both of your keys into any Kawasaki dealership and attempt to turn On any & all KLR's in the show room.
Let us know your results.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,413 Posts
That is indeed some sh*tty machine work, but that is not a blank. It is just terrible machining. shame on both of them
Thanks for the clarification

· Registered
77 Posts
Shitty machining aside, that 3D key doesn't look like it should work in the same ignition tumbler that belongs with the factory key. Weird and a little disconcerting.

I know one thing...my ignition lock is uber sensitive to accepting the right key. I bent my key slightly one day, had to straighten it out on the side of the road with a brick and pliers just to get home. From there I put it in a vise to get it as straight as possible. It "looks" perfectly straight now, but it's kinda sketchy starting the engine, or even getting in and out of the ignition sometimes. Been using my spare key since then.

If all it takes to start my Gen 3 is a 3D key like that one, I may be a little more careful where I park from now on. :cautious:

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shitty machining aside, that 3D key doesn't look like it should work in the same ignition tumbler that belongs with the factory key. Weird and a little disconcerting.

I know one thing...my ignition lock is uber sensitive to accepting the right key. I bent my key slightly one day, had to straighten it out on the side of the road with a brick and pliers just to get home. From there I put it in a vise to get it as straight as possible. It "looks" perfectly straight now, but it's kinda sketchy starting the engine, or even getting in and out of the ignition sometimes. Been using my spare key since then.

If all it takes to start my Gen 3 is a 3D key like that one, I may be a little more careful where I park from now on. :cautious:
This is why I posted this. So folks can know that their motorbikes may not be even mildly secure.

· Registered
2022 KLR650 Base
89 Posts
I wouldn't over think it to much. I highly doubt a would be thief is carrying around a gen3 klr key. If someone is going to steal it, it's just as easy to roll it away if not secure. I wouldn't rely on the ignition key alone to keep it secure.
My 14' Harley ignition was a joke as well. All it took was an extra switch and a small Allen wrench to remove 2 screws. GONE.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn't over think it to much. I highly doubt a would be thief is carrying around a gen3 klr key. If someone is going to steal it, it's just as easy to roll it away if not secure. I wouldn't rely on the ignition key alone to keep it secure.
My 14' Harley ignition was a joke as well. All it took was an extra switch and a small Allen wrench to remove 2 screws. GONE.
Yea not going to trust the key to solve any theft issue. I think that any motorcycle that someone really wants will get stolen. The good news is the KLR is not really a sought after motorcycle.
What do people think is a good theft deterrent? Disk lock, vibration alarm and cover locked onto the bike?

· Registered
2022 KLR650 Base
89 Posts
Yea not going to trust the key to solve any theft issue. I think that any motorcycle that someone really wants will get stolen. The good news is the KLR is not really a sought after motorcycle.
What do people think is a good theft deterrent? Disk lock, vibration alarm and cover locked onto the bike?
All the above and as much as you feel like dealing with.....also a garage and insurance to round it off .....haha.
If someone wants it, it will be gone..... unfortunately.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,413 Posts
None of the above.
Mount an Apple/Android AirTag to your bike, that way you can locate where it’s been taken to…if it does get stolen.

IF it does get taken, here’s what you do.
Once you’ve pinpointed where it’s at, bring a locked and loaded AR & go get your bike back.
That’s a very good & effective theft deterrent 😂

1 - 20 of 41 Posts