Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That is the worst craftsmanship. Juat another company not caring about thier products. Surprising as so many other members here rave about them. I would not be sending my key there if it turns out like this.
I have not been impressed with that company either. I see people here are loyal to them, but the 2 items I have owned from them have both been subpar.

Maybe I have a UNIVERSAL key!

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,411 Posts
Well an airtag won't do jack for finding the bike unless you're lucky enough to have a group of clieless iPhone non techy types standing within 30 feet of said motorcycle for an extended period of time. I highly doubt you'd be that lucky.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,412 Posts
Well an airtag won't do jack for finding the bike unless you're lucky enough to have a group of clieless iPhone non techy types standing within 30 feet of said motorcycle for an extended period of time. I highly doubt you'd be that lucky.
As long as the AirTag has been “initially” connected to your phone, you’ll be able to find it no matter where it is.
Edit: you are correct, but most people (even thief’s) have phones on them nowadays.

Reactions: MN Willie

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,412 Posts
all it takes is a flat screwdriver and a pair of vice grips to start most motorcycles, always be careful where you park it.
Pretty much. If someone wants it bad enough, she gone.

· Premium Member
864 Posts
Already did the airtag In an airtag vault. That is more of recovery, deterrent methods are what I am interested in figuring out now.

AR anti-theft device! HA
Grab yourself one of these stickers, thieves are chicken sh#ts and don't want to get shot..
Textile Grey Rectangle Font Pattern

In all seriousness, I believe Chatterbox makes an alarm system that notifies you if the bike is messed with plus has a separate kill switch built in when armed. Always lock the steering as well. That makes it so they need multiple people to lift it which gives you time to fire off a clean shot ;)

Best wishes

· Premium Member
864 Posts
I am going to get a sticker that said NO DOOHICKEY INSIDE. Then no one will want the bike! Actually I am going to to get the lock that makes sound and sends an alert combined with a cover and airTag, I may have a chance of finding it.
Installing a separate kill switch would also help. Always lock the steering so they need multiple people to pick it up.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Kill switch is a good idea, thanks. I only worry about it when I park it in San Diego at CBX. I often fly out of Tijuana but use CBX in Otay Mesa. For some reason I feel like it is vulnerable there.

· Registered
41 Posts
I had a Xena disc brake lock with a built in alarm on my previous bike. The alarm was eventually damaged by water. After that, I managed to ride off twice without first removing the lock lol. These days, I just use a regular bicycle U-lock (and pull a bungee across the handlebars so I don't forget about it), and try to park next to an R6 or a supermoto :ROFLMAO:

I can't wait to go into the dealership and try my key in other bikes. If KLRs have a problem, wouldn't it also likely extend to other models? I would imagine the tumblers and blank keys are probably the same on most current-year models. Maybe I can finally test ride that H2??

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
167 Posts
I use a product called Dfense. It is a GPS tracker. Comes with an app that you can track the bike should it be stolen. Also alerts you via messeges, email and normal phone notifications. Very sensitive. If the bike is taken off the center stand it will for sure trigger a notification. Just shaking the bike will send out a notification. I work at a hospital and it sits in a parking garage all day (it has dedicated motorcycle parking). I have no access to it (as far as looking out a window) so it is piece of mind that if anyone should touch it I at least will be notified and be able to call Security and or go check it myself. Pretty cool product for sure.
I also use a disk lock that I won at a Cycle Gear bike night a thousand years ago.

Reactions: LeviCurr

· Registered
2022 KLR650
399 Posts
I have not been impressed with that company either. I see people here are loyal to them, but the 2 items I have owned from them have both been subpar.

Maybe I have a UNIVERSAL key!
Which products and why?

Willie

· Registered
2022 KLR650
399 Posts
I use a product called Dfense. It is a GPS tracker. Comes with an app that you can track the bike should it be stolen. Also alerts you via messeges, email and normal phone notifications. Very sensitive. If the bike is taken off the center stand it will for sure trigger a notification. Just shaking the bike will send out a notification. I work at a hospital and it sits in a parking garage all day (it has dedicated motorcycle parking). I have no access to it (as far as looking out a window) so it is piece of mind that if anyone should touch it I at least will be notified and be able to call Security and or go check it myself. Pretty cool product for sure.
I also use a disk lock that I won at a Cycle Gear bike night a thousand years ago.
Where did you buy it from? What did you pay? Install?

Thank you!

Willie

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
167 Posts
Where did you buy it from? What did you pay? Install?

Thank you!

Willie
Hey Willie, I'd have to dig up the paperwork because I actually bought it when I bought the bike. It was through the dealer. I can't for the life of me remember what I paid. It wasn't a fortune but it wasn't cheap either. Lol. I installed it myself when I got home. It was super simple, it's just a box that you hide on the bike. I installed it under the seat. It has a rechargeable battery built in that last for months. The app tells you when it's getting low and I just throw it on battery charging block thing overnight and it's good to go. It's just a micro - usb like charging your Sena, except the battery lasts way longer. You could plug it in too, I just find it's easier to use those blocks. There's no monthly fees or anything like that. Just purchase it one time and set it up with the app and it's good to go. Works great! Like I said the piece of mind while I'm away from the bike is great. I go to rallies and MotoAmerica races and stuff like that and it's like having someone watching over your bike while you're away from it! LOL

Here's a link to their site - Clicky here for Dfense Website

· Registered
2022 KLR650
399 Posts
Hey Willie, I'd have to dig up the paperwork because I actually bought it when I bought the bike. It was through the dealer. I can't for the life of me remember what I paid. It wasn't a fortune but it wasn't cheap either. Lol. I installed it myself when I got home. It was super simple, it's just a box that you hide on the bike. I installed it under the seat. It has a rechargeable battery built in that last for months. The app tells you when it's getting low and I just throw it on battery charging block thing overnight and it's good to go. It's just a micro - usb like charging your Sena, except the battery lasts way longer. You could plug it in too, I just find it's easier to use those blocks. There's no monthly fees or anything like that. Just purchase it one time and set it up with the app and it's good to go. Works great! Like I said the piece of mind while I'm away from the bike is great. I go to rallies and MotoAmerica races and stuff like that and it's like having someone watching over your bike while you're away from it! LOL

Here's a link to their site - Clicky here for Dfense Website
Thank you for the info!

I'll look into it. Wonder if there's a dealer near me.... :unsure:

Willie

21 - 40 of 41 Posts