Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordering Barkbuster universal fit with vsp. Wondering if I can reuse existing bar end weights or need to order new from 3d Cycleparts. Did a forum search but could not find info. Thanks.

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
You may not need any extra weight. Some riders suggest that the aluminum guards absorb a fair bit more vibes.

As long as one places proper length spacers between hand guard bar & OEM weight so the rubber mount inside the weight still has movement they should work.
But, the first time one falls down the impact will probably bend the extra-long bolts severely.

· Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
375 Posts
I swapped my stock handlebar for a new Pro Taper bar which is heftier, keeping the stock shape of the bar as much as possible as opposed to a flatter bar, solid bar that eliminated part of the vibration the hollow thin stock bar could not

Kept the stock weights upon installation

Added handguards, and at that point I realized the stock weights would protrude far away and would easily brake off even upon a minor fall, so I opted for a set of smaller flat shaped Barkbusters weights which fit very well between bar and handguard

Excellent results, better than stock, stock was fine, but now I feel no vibration at all
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive fuel system

Eyewear Flooring Wood Audio equipment Office equipment

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Rectangle Asphalt

Peripheral Audio equipment Input device Wood Auto part

· Registered
583 Posts
Hi jaimesix - I think that the stock handlebars' ends are threaded for receiving the weights - do the Pro-Tapers have threaded ends to receive the Barkbusters mounting bolt (below), or do you have to use some of retaining bolt? Thanks!
Peripheral Input device Audio equipment Font Fashion accessory

· Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
375 Posts
Hi jaimesix - I think that the stock handlebars' ends are threaded for receiving the weights - do the Pro-Tapers have threaded ends to receive the Barkbusters mounting bolt (below), or do you have to use some of retaining bolt? Thanks!
View attachment 37190
Hi

You are right, the stock bar has a threaded insert welded in but it is not needed

The Pro Taper bar has a hollow end with the amount of area needed for a bolt to go in

Got some photos from a video online, which show the parts that come with the bar end weights and how they are used

You will use a bolt as in the stock bar case, but since there is no threaded part inside the Pro Taper bar, you will be inserting the bolt inside a threaded sleeve and an expansion nut.

And the way it works, you put these parts, bolt, sleeve and expansion nut into the handlebar end as shown, then tighten the bolt, and as you do the expansion nut will “expand” the sleeve , holding tight to the inside of the bar.

Check the video out. 👍🏻Installing Barkbusters bar end weights

· Registered
583 Posts
Thanks for the explanation - I've been thinking about the Pro-Tapers for awhile, but I wasn't sure what I'd do about my Barkbusters. This looks both easy and secure, so maybe some new handlebars will be on my list...:)

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
A word of warning about the handlebar end expansion plugs & tapered wedge 'nuts'.
DO NOT USE LOC-TITE! Or you may never get them to loosen up Enough to get them back out.

Never use Loc-tite on rubber & brass well-nuts/expansion plugs used on body parts.
Never use Loc-Tite on brass nuts molded into plastic body parts.

Use Anti-Seize grease, they will torque tighter & grip tighter with less effort.

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I try to avoid adding weight to my bikes if at all possible; especially weight up high and especially weight I have to move when steering. ......Gen1 KLR's never had bar end weights to begin with and I've found that my Renthal bars with Fastway hand guards and Progrip 714's does an acceptable job to quell vibrations. .....so my answer is NO, you don't need bar end weights.

Dave

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,220 Posts
Just installed the Tusk d-flex adventure handguards, and removed the OEM bar-end weights.
Should have done this a long time ago 👍

Reactions: DPelletier
1 - 15 of 15 Posts