Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looking at some pannier options and seems like they would get in the way of removing the rear side panels which need to be removed to remove the seat or am I not looking at this right? For instance I like this type but sure looks like you would have to remove a god awful number of bolts to remove the seat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've got the old style (circa 2008) Happy Trails SU Racks.
to remove the seat, I just need to get the 2 bolts off each side cover, then pull the side covers to the side and then forward from behind the racks. then just the 2 bolts for the seat.

I've known of some folks that don't bolt the seat back in for easy removal and other that drill a hole in the side covers so you can get to the seat bolts without removing the side covers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have those mounts and they do not interfere ... It is "in the way" but not enough to stop you from removing and replacing the side panels ....

·
Administrator
8,913 Posts
Rather than butcher the side covers, why not just leave the seat bolts out?

I have for years and my seat has never bucked me off the bike because it wasn't bolted down. I figure that if the seat comes flying off sometime I probably have bigger things to worry about.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I have for years and my seat has never bucked me off the bike because it wasn't bolted down. I figure that if the seat comes flying off sometime I probably have bigger things to worry about.
That does rather make sense

·
Registered
5 Posts

I've run my Gen 1 for years without the bolts. The seat tabs and covers create enough friction to keep the seat in place while moving and working on the bike, and while it's parked. It's also stayed put during a couple of gravity events.

As Mr. Schmitz says, if the bike DOES rotate energetically enough to fling the seat, there's other stuff going on.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
just to buck the trend; as an old, washed up, ex-offroad racer, I tend to take my KLR's places they probably shouldn't be.....and I tend to ride them quickly in those places leading to "laying the bike down" periodically (I'm not fond of the word "crash"), and I tend to stand most of the time doing this kind of riding. ....because of all this, I've resisted the urge to ride the bike without the seat bolts. Before doing the "sans seat bolt mod" I'd drill the side covers. ....If I was going to run without the seat bolts, I'd consider adding some velcro at the bottom back of the seat - I've heard of that one before and it sounds better to me than nothing.

2 cents and YMMV

Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't end up under the seat that often, so taking the 4 bolts for the side covers and 2 for the seat hasn't been that big a deal. Like I posted earlier in the thread, my HT SU racks don't interfere with getting anything off, so I bolt it all back up.

Just curious as to what people need quick access under the seat for? Do you forget to tun your key off and run your battery dead a lot? there's nothing else really to get to under there, although I do stash an extra set of clutch/break levers under there on mine.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I come from the Harley world and that's where they keep everything and the Grey Poupon so naturally I need to get under that gadarn seat for somethin!

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Just curious as to what people need quick access under the seat for? Do you forget to tun your key off and run your battery dead a lot?
The need to get under the seat may not come often, but . . . when it does, QUICK access may be desired.

I once rode in the National Memorial Day Parade in Washington, DC, with my motorcycle club. The weather was fearsome hot, and the parade glacially slow. The low volume of circulating air available from the slow pace, and the high ambient temperature resulted in essentially constant cooling fan operation. The battery drain was not compensated for the high alternator rpm, again, given the slow march speed of the parade. Further, the headlight (mine has a "trick" high-amp bulb) stayed on during engine operation, as designed.

At the end of the parade, my bike was as dead as Mussolini's girlfriend, from the depleted battery. On the shoulder of Constitution Avenue in Washington, DC, surrounded by thousands of spectators, I needed quick access to the battery terminals for a jump start.

The side panel screws (4), and the seat bolts (2), were NOT my friends that hot May day!

Thus, my declarative sentence in Post # 6 above, "Don't need no stinkin' seat bolts or thimbles!" :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
just to buck the trend; as an old, washed up, ex-offroad racer, ..................... I'd consider adding some velcro at the bottom back of the seat - I've heard of that one before and it sounds better to me than nothing.

2 cents and YMMV

Dave
True that! I too stand a lot.

+1 :sign0191:

"At the end of the parade, my bike was as dead as Mussolini's girlfriend, from the depleted battery. .....................I needed quick access to the battery terminals for a jump start.

The side panel screws (4), and the seat bolts (2), were NOT my friends that hot May day!
Damocles"

Excellent point and I feel your pain....
I have a tail for a "trickle charger" wired to the batt and it lurks just above the bottom of the side cowl. But it is too small a gage wire to use for a jumpstart.
Since I have often pissed and moaned about the lack of a kickstarter, I suppose I should beef up the qage of the tail wire so I could jump start the bike without removing the seat or anything else.
Has anyone done that?

Regards, Dafiddla

·
Administrator
8,913 Posts
Nah. Just put a kick starter on it.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
The need to get under the seat may not come often, but . . . when it does, QUICK access may be desired.

I once rode in the National Memorial Day Parade in Washington, DC, with my motorcycle club.

At the end of the parade, my bike was as dead as Mussolini's girlfriend, from the depleted battery. On the shoulder of Constitution Avenue in Washington, DC, surrounded by thousands of spectators, I needed quick access to the battery terminals for a jump start.

Thus, my declarative sentence in Post # 6 above, "Don't need no stinkin' seat bolts or thimbles!" :)
One could install a remote + terminal on the black plastic starter relay cover, connected to either the relay or the battery with a #8 cable. Negative can connect to almost any other frame bolt.

I've never felt the need, but I've seen a few terminals on these and other web pages. Only seen 1, in-person.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice!
After I posted that, as I went on with my day, I was thinking about that sort of approach too.
Thank you very much for the hot tip P.D.! :thumb:

Regards, Phil

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I once rode in the National Memorial Day Parade in Washington, DC, with my motorcycle club. The weather was fearsome hot, and the parade glacially slow. The low volume of circulating air available from the slow pace, and the high ambient temperature resulted in essentially constant cooling fan operation. The battery drain was not compensated for the high alternator rpm, again, given the slow march speed of the parade. Further, the headlight (mine has a "trick" high-amp bulb) stayed on during engine operation, as designed.

Rolling Thunder? Never heard of the National Memorial Day Parade in Washington, DC. Is that something different? Rolling Thunder is an amazing experience and everyone should do it at least once. My Sportster sales video has some footage from it in it.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Rolling Thunder? Never heard of the National Memorial Day Parade in Washington, DC. Is that something different?
Why, yes, patroy75! The National Memorial Day Parade is held on . . . MEMORIAL DAY, a Monday, in contrast to Rolling Thunder, a Sunday event.

This link leads to the National Memorial Day Parade website; hope it's informative:

National Memorial Parade | American Veterans Center

·
Registered
55 Posts
no bolts no more

I used to just leave the bolts to my seat out until I purchased a $500 Russell Day Long seat. No I make sure it stays bolted down. I cut holes in the side panels to access the bolts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts