Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now I'm sure a few of you own more than just your KLR for riding. like me, I just bought an 89 GS500 to get me around til I can buy a KLR for daily riding, at which time my GS will become track only.

I bought my GS with an interesting setup, an 05 KAWASAKI ZX6 front end, meaning forks, triple clamps. wheel and all. I absolutely love the dual disk brakes with 4 pot calipers on each disk. its NUTS how powerful that brake is compared to my old EX500 with a two piston caliper.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Don't have another one yet, but it is knawing at me to pick up something else to play with. Been wanting to get one of the older Muscle bikes, maybe a Kaw ZL1000 Eliminator.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also have two Yamaha XT225's One for me ('92) and one for my wife ('06).

We ride together and go Geocaching with them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2003 DL1K Vstrom

a good match for the KLR. The KLR is for the close dirt that is tough, the Vstrom is for the Far dirt that is not so tough...

Ok i have a couple others too but nothing catchy to say about them...

Coop

·
Registered
603 Posts
My wife and I have a couple.I have an 01 955i Tiger and kay has an 07 DL650.Even with those,the KLRs get the most miles:)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
My wife and I have a couple.I have an 01 955i Tiger and kay has an 07 DL650.Even with those,the KLRs get the most miles:)

Weird how some people buy other bikes and the KLR sits to the side, and others end up riding the KLR even more..:23a:

My KLR has become my main solo bike, and my Wing's my 2-up ride. The Strom just didn't do it for me..

·
Registered
603 Posts
Weird how some people buy other bikes and the KLR sits to the side, and others end up riding the KLR even more..:23a:

My KLR has become my main solo bike, and my Wing's my 2-up ride. The Strom just didn't do it for me..
Yep.Just did 2400 miles thru the north east on the klr.Loved every minute and didn't miss the bigger bikes at all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Paper said:
The Strom just didn't do it for me..
That's a rarely heard statement, but I can identify with it. I had a BMW R1150GS that I also could never bond with and nobody could understand why I got rid of such a highly-praised bike.

Since I'm thinking about a Strom, what was (is) it that you dislike?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Since I'm thinking about a Strom, what was (is) it that you dislike?
Basically, the bike never stirred my soul.. It's very nice, but it never did anything for me. Just like a BMW K-bike, I found it to be an appliance, and not something I WANTED to ride.
I WANT to ride my KLR.. Hell, (and this'll sound weird) I WANT to ride my Gold Wing..

I think some of it has to do with the fact that the Gold Wing shouldn't be fun in corners, but I love ripping through tight corners on my Wing and KLR, and the Strom was fine in them, but it never made them fun..

It just wasn't the bike for me..

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
a good match for the KLR.
Coop
+1 the DL1000 is a great match for the KLR. I got one this spring and already have racked up over 12,000 miles on it. That's how many miles I have on the KLR after 2 years of riding it! But the "V" can't compete with the KLR for fun off road, especially in the single track and mud.:50:

·
Registered
16 Posts
i got into the habit of looking at e-bay to see what my 05 klr is worth and soon found a deal on a zrx1200. what a difference! smooth, no vibes, lots of power, scary fast. sometimes after a zrx ride i hop on the klr to calm down.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have seen one with over 100,000.I have heard of one with a documented 140,000.Both of these are probably rare.If I were to guess,I'ld say 60 to 80,000 would be the norm

·
Registered
21 Posts
Honda CBs

In Thailand I rent Honda 125cc "Dream" step-through bikes for getting around town-- rides like a bicycle, easy to park, 80+ MPG. $5.00 a day.
When I want to take a tour in the mountains , I rent a CB400. This is considered a "big bike" there. They set them up with handlebar risers and a luggage rack. About $20. a day. F-U-N!!!! Perfect size/weight for the narrow roads. A few days on one of these in dicy conditions( unmarked construction areas, strolling water buffaloes, kamikaze drivers, no guard rails on hairpin curves,etc) and you think- gee why don't they have these in the States? answer: they did, until we all got to think we needed 1500ccs.
My first 2 bikes were GL500 and GL650. Set up for touring just like a Gold Wing, 50MPG and 70-80MPH. What more did I need? answer : an ST1100. Touring at 90MPH...now that's a dream!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts