Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a barn find 1985 KLR600. I wanted it as a knock around bike and for trips to the store. I was thinking a small trailer would be nice but I’ve never pulled a trailer with a bike and don’t know how they mount. I’m guessing that a mount to the swingarm would make the most sense but I’d love to get some ideas or directions on where to look.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Here is a little video from 'moto-mule' to give you some ideas or contact them,

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It’s a start. Have you ever pulled a trailer? Somehow I never considered a single wheel trailer.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
I never have. But always wished for the opportunity to take a 'test ride', on any bike & trailer rig.

Sounds like you need to explore YouTube a bunch! There are 2 wheeled camper trailers (& canoes & construction materials & you name it) being pulled by KLR's.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I need to figure out which search word combo does the job. “Motorcycle trailer” is waaay too broad.

·
Registered
2017 KLR650
25 Posts
I've always been intrigued by the idea of pulling a little overlanding quad-sized trailer behind my bike. A concern of mine would be how the lack of ABS would effect it, especially in the event of a lockup in the dirt. Not pretty. But I sure would be down to give it a shot. Let me know if you ever give it a go with your bike, I'd love to hear about it. Also, awesome that you found an old klr600. One of these days I'm gonna end up scooping a KL600 kickstarter and idler gear to start acquiring the parts necessary to convert my gen 2 KLR.

·
Registered
2017 KLR650
25 Posts
These (assuming you are referring to the first video result), are definitely some well designed trailers that would be nice to camp with. Unfortunately I dont know how well a KLR would pull the majority of these being that they are long and heavy. What another interesting thing to wonder, is how any sort of towing capacity could be calculated given the weight of the KLR, the 400lbs payload cap, the solid axel, and assuming an upgraded brake caliper and piston and an oversize rotor with steel lines.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Did you not scroll down thru the many trailer videos? I've previously seen KLR's in the camping parks.

I think one neat little trailer that I saw behind a KLR on the highway in a video was called the 'Burrito'! This was a few years ago.

Again I'll encourage you to simply scroll to the 'Recommended Reading' below this conversation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’ve pulled a one wheel kipmoto all over the states with a ktm 690 and a 16 klr 650 and never had a power issue with either bike nor a handling issue even at speeds in excess of 100mph (690) I would never pull a 2 wheel trailer again after pulling a single, they track just like they are part of the bike, max weight I’ve pulled including trailer was 200lbs.

·
Registered
2017 KLR650
25 Posts
I’ve pulled a one wheel kipmoto all over the states with a ktm 690 and a 16 klr 650 and never had a power issue with either bike nor a handling issue even at speeds in excess of 100mph (690) I would never pull a 2 wheel trailer again after pulling a single, they track just like they are part of the bike, max weight I’ve pulled including trailer was 200lbs.
Hey thats pretty interesting! Curious, do you have any pics or videos of adventures with the trailer plus the klr? Particularly with a heavy loaded trailer (80+ lbs not including trailer weight)?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do! And I’ll download them in the morning, used the kipmoto with the action packer bin, I took off the fender it came with (it’s crap and was falling apart) I also added a tail light, I welded a hoop on the skewer so I could add a cable to lock it to bike so no one could steal it, if you get one upgrade to the better bearings and street tire at time of purchase because you’ll need it anyway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wouldn't pull much more of a trailer with a KLR then the one in the first video in post #2. I pull a two wheel camping trailer all the time with my Goldwing. It is a little over 400 lbs. dry. With full gear, I have had it at 600 lbs. You just need to remember that it is back there and plan out your stops sooner. When stopping, you know it is back there pushing on you. The brakes on a KLR are fine for just the bike and rider. Add more weight, with the trailer, and the brakes are marginal at that point unless you start slowing sooner. You will also feel it back there when going over bumps. The trailer pulls on the bike when going over bumps. But, with a small single track like the one shown, it will be better than a two wheel trailer.

Unless you are thinking of getting big things at the store, a removable top box would work better. That is what I use and I can get a lot in there. Need more room, add some side boxes.

·
Registered
2017 KLR650
25 Posts
I do! And I’ll download them in the morning, used the kipmoto with the action packer bin, I took off the fender it came with (it’s crap and was falling apart) I also added a tail light, I welded a hoop on the skewer so I could add a cable to lock it to bike so no one could steal it, if you get one upgrade to the better bearings and street tire at time of purchase because you’ll need it anyway.
Any update?

·
Registered
2017 KLR650
25 Posts
I wouldn't pull much more of a trailer with a KLR then the one in the first video in post #2. I pull a two wheel camping trailer all the time with my Goldwing. It is a little over 400 lbs. dry. With full gear, I have had it at 600 lbs. You just need to remember that it is back there and plan out your stops sooner. When stopping, you know it is back there pushing on you. The brakes on a KLR are fine for just the bike and rider. Add more weight, with the trailer, and the brakes are marginal at that point unless you start slowing sooner. You will also feel it back there when going over bumps. The trailer pulls on the bike when going over bumps. But, with a small single track like the one shown, it will be better than a two wheel trailer.

Unless you are thinking of getting big things at the store, a removable top box would work better. That is what I use and I can get a lot in there. Need more room, add some side boxes.
Hey thanks for sharing! I always wondered the amount of weight that those more suited bikes (HD baggers, goldwings, even the GSA1200-1250s) could pull but wow 600 pounds! I think the most I would haul would be 150lbs including the trailer being around 30 pounds. Planning on hauling a folding kayak (45-52ish pounds), kayak gear (pedal drive, mounts, fishfinder, tacklebox, ice probably another 40 pounds), a gallon of fuel and water (15 pounds), and then some misc equipment. I have two large side paniers with my trail tools and camping gear and I also am working on getting a tankvest for my tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can see where I welded chain pieces onto the skewer so I could lock it and I also put cable on hitch so no one could unbolt it when I had to leave bike overnight, I also towed with my 2018 WR, sold trailer before I got any pics on klr but I used this trailer on 3 bikes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with the brakes issue on the klr and wr, I put EBC oversized rotor kit on front of klr but the wr had no upgrades I could find, the ktm was badass power and brake wise! Just put the pic of my wr because I wanted to show you can pull a trailer with anything! Ever been to Vietnam? They are masters of overloading a bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts