Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My KiLLeR doesn't always downshift properly when slowing to a stop. Sometimes I have to keep pressure on the shifter and slowly let out the clutch, then it will drop into gear. I never come to a complete stop and then try to downshift, I always downshift appropriately while slowing down.
It has fresh oil.

Any tips or idea's?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
My KiLLeR doesn't always downshift properly when slowing to a stop. Sometimes I have to keep pressure on the shifter and slowly let out the clutch, then it will drop into gear. I never come to a complete stop and then try to downshift, I always downshift appropriately while slowing down.
It has fresh oil.

Any tips or idea's?
Thanks

What do you mean down shift appropriately? Hold in the clutch and click down through the gears? Let out the clutch between gears?

Is the shift lever hitting on something when you press down on it? Does the clutch seem normal?

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I'm sure you've already checked this, but it sounds like clutch adjustment to me... Maybe too much free play so it's not totally disengaging? Are the upshifts smooth with the clutch or jerky/jumpy?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly I haven't messed with the cable play since I bought it. I set my bikes up so the clutch will disengage with my pinky and ring finger still on the grip and I just use my index and middle fingers to clutch.
I haven't checked anything because it seldomly does it. But when it does it, it tends to do it in all the gears. Almost like it gets off 1/4 a turn or something.
When I downshift I pull in the clutch and downshift every second or so while rolling.

I wonder if I'm grabbing the clutch with all fingers sometimes and pulling the clutch in all the way without really paying attention to it? Would that change things?

·
Registered
272 Posts
My bike every now and then won't downshift. If I keep trying, it will though. I feel that it has to do with stuff not being lined up right, similar to how sometimes it won't go into gear without being rolled forward a little bit.

·
Registered
482 Posts
try rev-ing it slightly this helps the gears to mesh better.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
try rev-ing it slightly this helps the gears to mesh better.
Doesn't matter with the clutch in, the trans is isolated from the crank.

A motorcyle trans is constant mesh all the gears are turning all the time execept in neutral. The shift dogs are sliding to engage the gears to the output shaft. Pulling in the clutch or blipping the throttle slows the trans gears a bit to allow the dogs to slip in.

Below: the clutch is on the right threads and the primary gear on the left threads.

To the OP are you letting off the pressure after each shift? The lever has to release before it will go to the next gear.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I typically do not. I bet you're right though, if I did I wouldn't have the issue. Most of the bikes I've had I seldomly release the clutch between gears and I seldomly have had any issues. ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Clutch adj.

I see alot of people that have the clutch adjustment too tight and it interferes with where the friction point is in relation with where they think it should release. It effects the two-finger crowd the most. Try loosening it up to the point that there's free play. The other problem is they don't match engine RPM's with the speed and gear they're downshifting too. They say if you can downshift into first gear smoothly it's equiv. to hitting a two iron in golf. If you do it well, no gear will be a problem. Or you can be like me..punch it and crunch it!

·
Registered
576 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
I may see the same issue now and then. Seems to happen to me when I'm under heavy braking, clutch in and downshifting fast. Other times I have the clutch in for a very heavy stop, no shifting, and then it won't shift. Stays in fifth. If I let the clutch out just a hair then it will let me downshift again when i then again pull in the clutch. But it only happens after I stop very very quickly.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last time I was out I paid closer attention to it. It always downshifted properly but it didn't feel as smooth when I grabbed the clutch with all 4 fingers and pulled it all the way in. Most likely because I have it adjusted to disengage about half way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts